From NY or points east to United 38
August 15-19, 2019
Pam and Tom Jeffers have driven from La Crosse, WI to the east coast many times, all the while avoiding the Chicago traffic! Here’s what they reported about their route home from the United on Long Island.
Main route from NY to La Crosse
We took Interstate 80 West to Interstate 76 West (which merges to Intestate 71 around Akron) and on to Mansfield, Ohio. US 30 towards Ft. Wayne, IN is the start to avoiding Chicago traffic. But before we got to Fort Wayne (around Van Wert, IN), we took US 224 West to Huntington and then US 24 W to head north on Interstate 39.
This map shows the above route including I-39 North to I-90 North at Rockford, WI and on to La Crosse. This mostly interstate route has fewer hills and might be more suitable if you’re towing a trailer: https://goo.gl/maps/vuhevLYAGSwWaP6M8
(You may need to move these maps around a bit to see the parts you want to see.)
Alternate near the end
A like bit before I-39 (around Chenoa) you could take I-55 South to I-74 west
Shown here: https://goo.gl/maps/5DRBvoXAhMpJBGN18
Or head south on I-39 a little to I-74 west, then to I-80 west (around Moline) to get north of Davenport, Iowa. From there I take US 61 north to La Crosse. This map shows the above route: https://goo.gl/maps/6jAhc5QeNbjYEFXs9
Driving into the city
If you plan to arrive at the United in La Crosse by way of the Interstate 90, the route to the hotel with the fewest number of city streets would be from the Minnesota side of the Mississippi River.
- On I-90, cross the Mississippi River into Minnesota and take exit 276 to US 14/61 south to La Crescent, MN. At the traffic light in La Crescent turn left, staying on highways 14/61.
- The next traffic light is in La Crosse just after you crossed the main channel bridge over the Mississippi River.
- At that traffic light, turn right onto 3rd street for one block.
- Turn right onto Division St for one block.
- Turn right on 2nd street and go 5 blocks to the Hotel.
- The hotel is at 200 Second Street South, 200 Harborview Plaza, La Crosse, WI 54601
Here’s that portion of the map: https://goo.gl/maps/ENCzEjDuak6PbHFN7