Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Hi All, I’ve been a TEAE member for many years but finally have the time to begin working on the ’66 that has been sitting in the garage for over 35 years! During the past few years I’ve tried to pick up parts to convert to V6. Anybody know if V6 Jose still supplies the kit or is it too late to get one? I have a 2.8 from an ’86 Aerostar that I want to try first on a test stand to see how well it runs. I stripped off all the accessories and got a Duraspark setup. I know what 2 bbl to get from reading other posts but does anyone know what I need to do to adapt it to the existing manifold? There is a big adapter plate now with EGR etc. etc. If I take that off will a basic carb bolt directly to the manifold or do I need an adapter to connect to the Aerostar manifold?

We haven’t seen Jose log on to our forum since 2008.

Here is a good post to reference, and his contact information.
      https://www.teae.org/cars/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1131

Anonymous

Every time I see the Sharkey’s V6 I get more tempted to make the conversion on one of my Alpines. Let us know if Jose is still making kits.

Jim Stone
        Participant

Jose is active on the Alpine Club’s forum, so your best bet is probably to post your questions there. There is a very good thread that was just started by someone else who is planning his conversion that might be a good starting point for you: http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/show … hp?t=21375.

Have fun!

Thanks, I’m waiting now for authorization to use the Alpine club forum. Still, in the meantime, if anyone knows what is needed to adapt a standard 2 bbl carb to the Ford 2.8 V6 intake manifold, I would appreciate any info available.

Dan Richardson
          Participant

I have several Alpines that I am doing a conversion utilizing the Mustang II 2.8 V6 engine and manual bell housing. I initially bought a "kit" from jose, then discovered I was not really happy with some of the design. While it is of good quality, I decided to make some changes to improve on some components.

One of my cars a SIV was equipped with the Borg Warner BW35 automatic transmission. The kit bracket did not fit the BW35 car so I made a transmission mount bracket for adaption to the Ford T5. I have sold several of these mounts including a design for manual transmission Alpines when adapting the T5.

Other components for the conversion include engine mounting brackets; a cross link; alternator bracket; and clutch slave cylinder bracket. Additional items needed in the V 6 conversion are also available such as the Modified thermostat housing; pilot bearing adapter and hopefully the necessary radiator modifications. I have a reliable radiator shop that will recore and modify the Alpine SIV-V radiator with 3 row 17 fins per inch for around $400.

If interested please contact me at: tiger2dan AT gmail.com

I reside in Greenwood, SC .

Keep’em on the road,

DanR

Viewing 5 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.