Viewing 41 reply threads
  • Author

Calendars fill up fast. Make sure you save the dates

September 21 — 24, 2017
      United XXXVI, Staunton, Virginia

More to come….

Yes! Have had that on the Calendar since it was announced, we are really looking forward to it 😀

Mark & Nancy

I scheduled my vacation days. We stayed at the Holiday Inn (earlier this year) which I believe is a prime candidate for the event. The hotel is great, parking lot is HUGE, and the bar and pool are nice too.

Bob and Jean Webb
      Participant

When will the hotel info be available ?

James Lindner
      Participant

Hi All,

On behalf of the Virginias Region, I am happy to report that planning for United 36 in Staunton, VA is proceeding nicely. You will see a formal announcement in the coming weeks with details on the weekend’s activities and registration information. Actual registration will start shortly thereafter once we get the registration form set up on the website and published in the Rootes Review. In the meantime, I see some of you are chomping at the bit to make your hotel reservations.

We have chosen the Holiday Inn and Conference Center in Staunton as our host hotel. Renovated in 2012, the Holiday Inn has all the conveniences we require for a United event to include; an excellent area for a hospitality suite, banquet facilities, parts room and ample parking.

Here is a link to the hotel’s website:
      https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/u … SA-_-SHDVA

We have negotiated a very reasonable rate for the area and time of year and breakfast is included.
      • Thursday night – $89
      • Friday- Sunday nights – $129
      o These rates are guaranteed only until August 21, 2017.

I checked with the hotel and they are ready to accept reservations. Please call the hotel directly when making your reservation. Tel. No. (540) 248-6020. State that you are with the Sunbeam Group. The rooms have a view of the adjacent golf course or the parking lot, so you can decide if you want a scenic view or if you want to keep an eye on your Sunbeam during the night. Just let them know when you register. Handicapped Access rooms are also available.

Hope you all can make it this year.

Thanks,

Jim

James Lindner
      Participant

Hi All,

Just one more thing regarding the hotel…

The club is covering the cost of breakfast as part of the registration fee. When making reservations, although the receptionist might cite the rate as breakfast not included, rest assured BREAKFAST IS INCLUDED AT NO COST TO YOU.

Thanks,

Jim

Bob and Jean Webb
      Participant

Why are there two room rates ? What is the rate for those of us that will check in on Wednesday? No mention of that rate.

Bob and Jean Webb
      Participant

I just made my reservations but found out after two tries that the front desk will transfer you to Holiday Inn corporate reservations when you tell them you want to make a reservation unless you specify to the person answering the phone what you want. I got no preference as far as golf course or parking lot. Take what you get!

James Lindner
      Participant

There are two room rates because Thu night is a weekday rate and Fri-Sun is a weekend rate. The rate for Wed should be $89 no breakfast (the club is paying for breakfast Thu-Sun) I will confirm this on Monday when I speak with the manager familiar with our group. I will also check up on the registration process. I confirmed only a couple days ago that they wanted calls to come directly to the hotel. I will report back as soon as I get answers.

Sorry for the rocky start.

Thanks

Jim

quote VaCat33:

Hi All,

Just one more thing regarding the hotel…
      The club is covering the cost of breakfast as part of the registration fee. When making reservations, although the receptionist might cite the rate as breakfast not included, rest assured BREAKFAST IS INCLUDED AT NO COST TO YOU.
      Thanks, Jim

Nice work Team 8)

Bob and Jean Webb
      Participant

Jim,
      It’s early and problems will pop up. Registration is open but I doubt that all front desk folks are up to speed on what to do. Plenty of time to get them on board. Then it’s smooth sailing.

James Lindner
      Participant

Hi All

I just spoke to the manager at the Holiday Inn Staunton, VA about the issues raised by 65beam.

First, the rate for nights before or after our event is $89 w/o breakfast (Remember, the club is paying for breakfast Thu-Sun.) For $10 more breakfast is included. This rate is limited to week nights (Mon-Thu) only.

As for the reservation process…Laurie, the manager, informed me that reservation calls are usually handled by onsite personnel staffing the reception desk. If, however, they are handling customers physically standing in front of them, they could refer the call to the corporate reservation center in order to avoid having the calling customer wait. So, if you do not mind waiting they will get to you. If you do mind waiting, simply call back or ask for a call back…or go through corporate.

I also confirmed rooms are available with a golf course or parking lot view. So if you have a preference be sure to wait until the onsite staff can book your reservation. FYI…each side has a limited number of rooms with each size bed, so after a while, you might not be able to get the size bed you want AND the view you want.

Remember to say you are with the SUNBEAM GROUP.

Hope it is smooth sailing from now on.

Jim

Will I be able to TAC my car at the event? Do I need to do anything at this time??
      Thanks,
      Jim

James Lindner
      Participant

Jim

Yes, we will be TAC’ing cars at the United…exact time and location to be announced at time of check-in.

Nothing to do right now. Online pre-registration will open in the next couple of weeks, followed my mail in registration once the registration form is published in Rootes Review.

Whether you register online or via regular mail, if you need a TAC inspection just check the block yes when it asks you that question. Then be sure to include the $50 payment with your total payment for the event.

Jim

When will the registration form be available?

Fred Baum

James Lindner
      Participant

Fred

The online form should be available by the end of March and the mail-in form will hopefully be ready for the April Issue of the Rootes Review.

Jim

James Lindner
      Participant

Hi All

If you do not already know, registration for United 36 is now open. You can read more about the location and activities and register online at the club website. The following link will take you there.

United 36 in Staunton VA: September 21-24, 2017

You will also find a hard copy form which you can print out and use to register via regular mail, if you so desire.

Thanks

Jim

Super-Easy on-line registration & paypal payment 😀
      Thanks Team!

Mark & Nancy

Ron and Cathy Stein
      Participant

Cathy and I are registered and the hotel is booked. It’ a 10 hour drive according to Google maps, but hopefully we’ll have a number of Canadian cars in attendance…. Ron

James Lindner
      Participant

Hi All

For those of you thinking about participating in the auto-x, we just received confirmation from the SCCA Blue Ridge Region that they have locked in the Augusta co. Government Center as the venue. Good news, as it is only three miles from our hotel. As I mentioned previously we will piggy-back on a scheduled SCCA event like we did at Dayton in 2015.

If you have not already noticed, Registration is open.

Jim

If the hotel is booked up, will more rooms be available? If not, then what accommodations can be made at a decent rate near the events.

James Lindner
      Participant

Fred

I think it unlikely the hotel will run out of rooms. I believe the hotel has 100 rooms and we have blocked out about 60. These are blocked until 8/21. In looking at the hotel bookings for past years we usually fill 55-65 rooms. So we should be safe, especially if you book by the end of July.

That said, if we get a larger response, I am sure we could work out something with the hotel. We will be monitoring the hotel bookings so we stay ahead of this.

As a last resort there are many hotels in the area, the closest being a Days Inn right across the road from our hotel.

Jim

[quote][b][i]Re: United 36 – Staunton, VA Save the date September 21 – 24, 2017
      Post by canbeam » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Cathy and I are registered and the hotel is booked. It’ a 10 hour drive according to Google maps, but hopefully we’ll have a number of Canadian cars in attendance…. Ron[/i][/b][/quote]

This is the reason for my post.

Fred Baum

James Lindner
      Participant

Following up further, regarding room availability…

As of today 20 of our 60 rooms have been booked. I strongly urge you all to book early.

Jim

James Lindner
      Participant

Hi All

I checked with the hotel and we currently have 25 rooms left (based on 4 nights per room) from our initial block of rooms at the Holiday Inn Staunton.

Jim

James Lindner
      Participant

Hello All

Just an update on room availability. I have good news and bad.

Good news…20 rooms are still available.

Bad news…when those rooms are gone there are NO more rooms available at the Holiday Inn. James Madison University just announced that their Parents weekend will be the same weekend as the United and the remainder of the rooms at the Holiday Inn have been booked. I also checked 2 other hotels in the area and they are also fully booked.

If you plan to attend United 36 Please book your room NOW.

Jim

James Lindner
      Participant

Hi All

Just a quick update on the Hotel. It looks as if we have 5 rooms left for Fri, Sat, & Sun Nights. This number drops to 3 for Thu night. Again, if you have not booked please do so NOW, as this is a very popular weekend in the area and rooms are limited.

Based on room reservations, it appears we will easily exceed 100 people in attendance. Right now only about 50 have registered. If you have not registered yet, please do so. This helps us get accurate head counts early on, so we can finalize orders for meals, shirts, goodie bags and trophies.

Thanks

Jim

James Lindner
      Participant

Hi All

ALL ROOMS AT THE HOLIDAY INN ARE SOLD OUT.

On Fri/Sat nights we have over 70 rooms booked. That should translate to 125-150 people in attendance for most of the United weekend. That is an excellent turn out.

Right now only about 60 people have preregistered. PLEASE REGISTER if you have not already done so. It will allow us to get an accurate count of people so we can lock in shirt and trophy purchases, book our Sunday Events and lock in our lunch numbers for Friday and Saturday.

It is going to be a fantastic United.

Jim

James Lindner
      Participant

Hi All

We are only 7 weeks from United 36. The registration fee increases by $40 on 1 Sep, so if you have not registered yet please do so now. We would like to lock in our head count for meals and activities in the next couple of weeks.

See you in September.

Jim

Bob and Jean Webb
      Participant

Jim,
      I’m not seeing anything mentioned concerning a parts room. I’ll need at least two tables. I’m also hearing that the parts area will not be in an area that can be secured. Several of us have had parts stolen before and I don’t want to worry about that again. I’m sure the hotel can come up with a secure room if you ask.

James Lindner
      Participant

Hi All

Correction to my previous post…the cutoff date for the early registration fee is 21 AUG 2017. After that date the price increases to $185 single/$285 per couple. It is only two weeks until 21 Aug. Please register now.

We want to order the shirts within the next week so getting an accurate count will really help. An accurate head count will also help us determine the number of trophies we need and allow us to make the final arrangements for the banquet and other meals.

Thanks

Jim

Bob and Jean Webb
      Participant

Jim,
      Haven’t seen a response concerning the parts room. Will you have a room available that can be secured? I don’t want to bring parts and have to unpack and pack up every day. The parts room has been a part of Uniteds for the 30 something years that I’ve attended. ????? In our travels to shows and vintage racing in the last couple months I’ve talked to folks that plan on attending but didn’t have their room booked. Do you have any details concerning other hotels so these folks can find a room?

James Lindner
      Participant

Bob

The hotel has no other rooms suitable for a parts room. The main doors to the room can likely be secured but the hotel staff will still have access through the the dining room and kitchen. As I mentioned to Eric, I briefed this when We presented this hotel and nobody had a problem. Adding security might be a possibility but that will be costly. We will be looking into security for the parking lot…maybe the hotel will allow the guard to check on the parts room as well. For now that’s about it.

As for other hotels, it is not looking good. As our hotel filled up I checked around with several within a short distance and all are totally booked. I really can not offer any options other than to expand their search.

Jim

James Lindner
      Participant

Hi All

in view of the Holiday Inn being sold out, I just checked some hotel websites for rooms at other hotels. The choices are very few. here is what I have come up with and these hotels only have one or two rooms each.

Motel 6 Staunton
      Knights Inn Staunton
      Econo Lodge East Staunton

I can not attest to the quality of any of these establishments, so please do your due diligence. Hope this helps those that still want to attend but do not currently have accommodations.

jim

James Lindner
      Participant

Hi All

Less than one week left to take advantage of the United 36 Early Registration and the reduced fees. After 21 Aug 2017 the cost to register will increase by $40.

If you plan to attend and have not registered, PLEASE DO SO IMMEDIATELY. This is especially important if you wish to purchase one or more of the United 36 shirts. To ensure we get the shirts in time we must place the order within the next few days. Extra shirts will be in very limited supply.

Thanks

Jim

See my post for a room at the United if interested.

Fred Baum
      610-554-6881

James Lindner
      Participant

Attention All Amateur Photographers

In an effort to get full photo coverage of United 36 we are looking for some volunteers to get photos of the different activities. We are hoping we can get enough volunteers so we can spread the responsibilities so one or two people do not spend the entire weekend taking photos.

Hoping there are a few of you who have more that your phone for taking pictures and are willing to contribute a little time during the event.

If so drop me an email, PM or simply respond to this post.

Thanks

Jim

James Lindner
      Participant

Hi All

Starting to get inquiries about attending the United for less than the entire weekend. I know we still have several VA area people who have not registered for the weekend, who might be thinking about coming out for a day or two.

Here’s the deal…cost to register for a single day is as follows:

Thu/$10
      Fri/$50
      Sat/$50
      Sun/$75

All prices are per person. If you add up the amounts for each day you will notice it equals the late registration fee for a single.

Signing up for a day will allow you to participate in all activities and meals that day. See the website for the schedule of events. It would also give you access to the parts room and hospitality suite back at the hotel.

If you do sign up for Sunday please let us know which activity you plan to attend. If you want to autocross..it will cost an additional $20.

You can register at the event on Thu or Fri. But we would appreciate a heads up email in advance so we have time to adjust head counts.

Jim

James Lindner
      Participant

High All

Less than One week to go. Today I received a question regarding parking at the hotel. The lot to the side and rear of the hotel is reserved for Rootes vehicles only. Please use the front lot to park your other cars, trucks and trailers. We have over 70 cars coming and all should fit into that side/rear lot.

See you next week.

Jim

James Lindner
      Participant

Final Update…

Just checked the weather and it appears we will have excellent weather all 4 days…Sunny about 80 degrees. Keep your fingers crossed that this forecast holds.

I checked for area road construction. Nothing on I- 81 within 50 miles of Staunton. Looks like a lane closure on the Blue Ridge Parkway at mm 33-37. This will affect those taking the driving tour medium and long routes. Do not let that dissuade you. Just a short slow down for a few miles. Many more great roads and scenery.

Travel safe.

Jim

Great – see you Wednesday night 🙂
      Thanks for the update and attention to detail.

Sounds like were in for a great weekend.The wife and i we be leaving on
      Wednesdays afternoon from the Detroit area. I’m thinking about taking US250
      most of the way. Hope to see everyone on Thursday afternoon.

Dave/Carrie Kulasa

Viewing 41 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.