Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

I had a bad feeling. For those that don’t know, I am waiting for my Tiger to be delivered via enclosed carrier from NH to my home in KS.

Just got a call from the shipper. I had a smile on my face anticipating an imminent delivery….not.

The driver was loading a car in behind mine on the truck which had no brakes. Long story short the car hit mine. The Tiger now has two broken tail lights, bent bumper, body damage to both rear fenders and trunk. Around $3K + parts in damage. Shipping company is paying for all repairs (no kidding they are) and they will take place in Wichita, KS. I just talked to the body shop owner and feel good about the work he will do. I am being told the car will be fixed in two weeks. Car has NO history of body damage in 42 years…until now.

What a kick in the nuts!

Needless to say, I will not be paying for the shipping.

alpine-64
      Participant

Sorry to hear the news, and it was such a good looking car. just be patient.. make sure they dont rush the repairs and hopefully all will be well.

Not as bad as I was picturing but still makes me sick to my stomach.

Before –

After –

Jeff Nichols
        Participant

Hurry! Ebay # 280196664275 for two sets of Lucas NOS rear lens! Only 19 hours and $79.

Hi Duke,

As you said it’s a bit more than a kick in the teeth. Sorry to hear (and see) the bad news. Just look forward to when you can drive your beautiful Tiger.

Regards, Robin.

Those are the outside screw lenses currently on the car, which were used towards the end of production are are hard to get. Only the inside screws lenses are reproduced and they’re good, except probably won’t have the Lucas numbers on them. So to summarize, earlier inside screw lenses are available as repros and used/NOS, outside screw are not reproduced and much harder to fine as used/NOS.

quote mikephillips:

Those are the outside screw lenses currently on the car, which were used towards the end of production are are hard to get. Only the inside screws lenses are reproduced and they’re good, except probably won’t have the Lucas numbers on them. So to summarize, earlier inside screw lenses are available as repros and used/NOS, outside screw are not reproduced and much harder to fine as used/NOS.

Thanks for the heads-up. I did not see that detail.

i had the outside screw lens but when i brought the car into the UK i had to fit orange covers. they are easily converted to outside screw type by drilling the holes through and then counter sinking the outside to accommodate the screw head (with a larger drill bit).

Yep you can do that and as long as having wrong part numbers on them doesn’t bother you will work fine. If absolute originality is a concern just be aware they’re dofferent pieces.

0neoffive
          Participant

Ouch! Hey Duke! Spank that Guy, hard! The car is/was/will be a wonderful example of preserved automotive mongrel. The better ones I’ve inspected usually stay on a trailer. When you get the little kitten back, remember, there are supposed to be two smokin’ black lines, flashing lights & sirens behind you. randy
            B382000078 & others

UPDATE –

The car that ran into the Tiger was a 1970 AMC Javelin.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!………….the humanity!! I knew that one of those ultimately hideous beasts would someday have an influence on my life.

I feel so dirty.

Well, at least it wasn’t one of those silly little rice burners.

You did manage to keep it somewhat period, even if it was one of the least favorite of the era.

Fred Baum

Viewing 11 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.