Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Roger Sternfeld
      Participant

What is the guestimate these days on the number of genuine running Tigers remaining in the U.S.? Thanks.

quote 66toaster:

What is the guestimate these days on the number of genuine running Tigers remaining in the U.S.? Thanks.

Good question. I’ve only seen one estimate and it was made a number of years ago – 2,000.

I don’t know if they are all driv ers, but Norm’s site says there are about 3,900 known to exist. Some may be basket cases, others from there on up to Barrett-Jackson quality.

F

quote CLEVITE:

I don’t know if they are all drivers, but Norm’s site says there are about 3,900 known to exist. Some may be basket cases, others from there on up to Barrett-Jackson quality.

F

That is an interesting "observation"… I wonder what the basis is for that?

I’ve always figured that between Rust, wRecks, neglect, and other general attrition (at least over the first 10 years) that it would seem unlikely for more than 1/2 to be left out of the 7,000 made 😕 .
        Of course, new ones are being made all the time now 🙄

quote Mark1A:

Or course, new ones are being made all the time now 🙄

7,000 made, 10,000 left!

quote Jeff F:

quote Mark1A:

Of course, new ones are being made all the time now 🙄

7,000 made, only 10,000 left!

Fixed it :mrgreen:

Owen and Stacy Mead
        Participant

I remember back in the day, on two separate occasions I actually came across a Tiger in the junk yard! We had a field day taking small trim parts off.

Peter Marsh
          Participant

I have not had the opportunity to add the VIN to the count, but I actually discovered a Tiger buried last year (literally, buried under about 40-50 wheels and tires) in a junkyard. I was able to pull off some small parts, but have to go back sometime soon when I have more time to work on removing larger bits and pieces. If it is still there that is.

So, they are still out there.

This particular Tiger was hit hard in the right rear, and in the front. It had snow tires on it (and empty pull-tab Budweisers cans in it) so I suspect the driver may have spun it and hit an immovable object with the a**-end first).

I keep all advised when I got back soon.

MarshMountain

I know of a few cars in MI that are in need of restoration and are not on the radar. So I think there might be more stashed in garages of people who will never have the time or money to repair them and as the owners die off they will come out of hiding. The one guy I know has three Michigan cars, is not a member of any club and has never in 40 years restored any of the dozens of cars he has owned. I met a guy a coupe of years ago near me that has a MKII. Not a member of any clubs, had no interest in our United and just wanted to know where to get fender trim for a MKII. This maybe more of a northern thing because of the rust issue. Too rare a car to throw out, too much work to put back on road.

John

quote loganjr:

I know of a few cars in MI that are in need of restoration and are not on the radar. So I think there might be more stashed in garages of people who will never have the time or money to repair them and as the owners die off they will come out of hiding. The one guy I know has three Michigan cars, is not a member of any club and has never in 40 years restored any of the dozens of cars he has owned. I met a guy a coupe of years ago near me that has a MKII. Not a member of any clubs, had no interest in our United and just wanted to know where to get fender trim for a MKII. This maybe more of a northern thing because of the rust issue. Too rare a car to throw out, too much work to put back on road.
            John

Yep -the guy that gave me my first ride [and later a drive] in a Tiger back in the mid-70s has one in his basement… same thing – don’t think he is a "club guy" and who know if it is on anyone’s radar(?).
            I wonder what Norm’s 3900 number is based on?

Viewing 9 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.