Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Does anyone know if later SIII up rear leaf springs will fit a SII? My springs are shot and the cost of having them rebuilt is about the same price of new SIII up leafs through VB.

I don’t mind doing a little modification (since my car has a Capri R/E expect to do so). Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Tom,

I seem to recall a post from the old SAOCA forum indicating that the S-3 and later springs are wider than the earlier versions (1/4" IIRC) and will not fit. Take that with a grain of salt, but maybe it will give you something to ask about when you talk to VB or whoever.

Tom:
      Check around locally for a spring shop that can re-arch your springs and press in some new shackle bushings. Way cheaper, and they can match the tension, replace leaves (if necessary), increase the lift a bit, etc.

I just measured the springs, they are about 44" long and 2 1/4" wide.

My local spring ship does not have any specifications on a ‘What’s that thing called a Sunlight?’. If anyone has the specifications on the springs they can re-arch them.

Thank you,

Your two specs are correct; 44" between centers (oops…"centres") and 2.25" width. Also:

Depth: 1.172"

Laden camber: 0.50" negative (on or off car)

Laden camber load: 165 lbs.
      (On car; load to be evenly distributed approx. 20 inches from
      center line of rear axle.)

All info shamelessly plagerized from the work shop manual. I cannot be held responsible for any confusion.

Mike Schreiner
      Participant

I have a series 2 parts car with orig springs on it……sat many years before it rusted so bad it had to be parted….Mike….want a replacement set?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.