Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Gene Sokolowski
      Participant

I have inserted my steering column in the car as part of the total re-wire job I am completing at this point of the restoration.
        I noticed quite a ‘gap’ between the column tube and the front (wheel arch area) support bracket. I was wondering if there is a piece that surrounds the column tube and is held in place by the bracket. Well I didn’t find anything on the net in conversation threads but I did find in the Sunbeam workshop manual that indeed there is a rubber packing strip between the steering column and support bracket. Does anyone know if this is just an oblong piece of rubber that I could fabricate? I didn’t notice anything like that offered in the Sunbeam Specialties Catalog.

If someone has made this from a piece of flat rubber, what thickness of rubber mat did you use?

Just flat rubber strip 1" wide .060 thick like maybe a piece of inner tube look in McMaster Carr.com you might find what you need there.

Gene Sokolowski
        Participant

Thank you jkgriffs!

0neoffive
          Participant

Also; the MG guyz have a rubber isolator that surrounds the SU fuel pump. This ubiquitous donut can be cut into all kinds of applications and it’s cheap.

I used a piece of rubber cut from 4" flexible wall molding that you can get a most building supply stores. Seemed just about the right thickness.

0neoffive
            Participant
              quote iron beast:

I used a piece of rubber cut from 4″ flexible wall molding that you can get a most building supply stores. Seemed just about the right thickness.

Hi: Looked around the yards and asked a few questions, but the sales staff couldn’t find anything as described? Got pic ??

Sorry. I might not have described it well. See the link. I was able to buy one piece about 4′ long for a few bucks. I would send it to you, but just went out there and couldn’t find it. Let me know if you still have trouble, and I’ll take another look….I’m sure its in the shop somewhere!
              http://www.homedepot.com/p/ROPPE-Black- … dtZ1z10qpy

Viewing 6 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.