Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

To protect your nice new or rechromed bumpers AND have them look great,
      instead of using an undercoating compound, consider coating the insides
      of the bumpers and over-riders with silver POR-15 before re-assembly.
      An epoxy paint, it brushes on, dries hard, and will look like a primed
      inner bumper surface, with a nice gloss. Plus, it is rust-proof. I use
      this on all the cars I restore.
      Tip courtesy of Tom Wiecnek.

Jim,

Thanks for the info. I will use it on my newly chromed bumpers. That new chrome should look great against my freshly painted Carnival red Series 3 GT.

Best Regards,
      8)

Somebody told me about very good results with PJ-1 epoxy paints.
      I have used Kawasaki Silver, and a gloss epoxy paints made by PJH Brands of Scottsdale , AZ. Sofar so good. It comes in spray cans, about $6.95/ea.
      Robert

Por-15 products ARE NOT EPOXY. It is a isocynated paint (Be careful of fumes) that cures in the presence of moisture. You refer to the “silver paint”, and I guess you meant to say the “TIE-COAT” primer. I think this is the ONLY product (they make) that is even close to being moisture resistant….Like automotive epoxy primer. It’s my opion, but ANY “professional only”acrylic enamel paint will work as good or better and cost a lot less. I have purchased their products and used them. I didn’t see any advantage in using them over the real refinishing products made by PPG, Dupont, Glasurit and so on. They do have a great marketing team!!!
      PJ-1 paints- I buy & use these too and they ARE NOT EPOXY. I suspect they are also lacquer based. Try some lacquer thinnner on your rattle can paint after it has dried a good long time.
      😉

That was me…
      Jan

Por-15 products ARE NOT EPOXY. It is a isocynated paint (Be careful of fumes) that cures in the presence of moisture. You refer to the “silver paint”, and I guess you meant to say the “TIE-COAT” primer. I think this is the ONLY product (they make) that is even close to being moisture resistant….Like automotive epoxy primer. It’s my opion, but ANY “professional only”acrylic enamel paint will work as good or better and cost a lot less. I have purchased their products and used them. I didn’t see any advantage in using them over the real refinishing products made by PPG, Dupont, Glasurit and so on. They do have a great marketing team!!!
      PJ-1 paints- I buy & use these too and they ARE NOT EPOXY. I suspect they are also lacquer based. Try some lacquer thinnner on your rattle can paint after it has dried a good long time.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.