tr

Doesn’t any one have pictures of a stock Tiger on a lft. I
        am looking for a stock Tiger from underneath. What does the
        underside unibody looks like on an original stock Tiger. How do
        the duel exhaust line up on the car.
        Please somebody has to have pictures Help

building an alger? 🙂

Clone/fake alert!!

TR, put up some pictures of the underside of your Tiger and we can mark them up to show where stuff ought to go. The pipes run pretty much straight from front to back, but from what I’ve seen (having two sets of headers) there is some variability in what you have to do ahead of the frame pass-throughs. The factory exhaust runs under the rear axle – I’ve seen some exhaust shops make over-the-axle bends but there really isn’t enough room to do that especially if you use larger tube sizes.

The others’ comments are fair. Unless you’re completely above board on building a ‘tribute’ car, you’re not going to get a lot of respect from folks in the Alpine/Tiger community. The underbody changes that distinguish Tiger shells from Alpines are fairly well known by marque aficionados and most if not all the intentional clones are quickly discovered upon close examination. Tiger bodies were built as Tigers (by the factory) from square one – there are only a couple of places where an existing body panel was hand-bashed to fit, so there is little or no ‘kit-car’ variability in the body construction that you’d be able to claim to account for discrepancies between an Alger and a genuine Tiger.

quote Theo:

The others’ comments are fair.

I don’t care either way, but why is it fair? Guilty until proven innocent.

Duke has asked for a number of pictures for his car…

There have been a number of cars on Ebay recently with pictures, whether they are correct or not is debatable.

Paul

quote daddytiger64:

quote Theo:

The others’ comments are fair.

I don’t care either way, but why is it fair? Guilty until proven innocent.

Duke has asked for a number of pictures for his car…

There have been a number of cars on Ebay recently with pictures, whether they are correct or not is debatable.

Paul

Within the given context, which is pretty thin, those kinds of questions are going to be viewed with some suspicion. If you look at TR’s other post you find out that he’s trying an "original" restoration of a Tiger. Fair enough, but how trashed does a Tiger have to be that it’s not certain how the OEM exhaust was routed? I realize that some people are much more picky about original details than others, and if you are planning to compete in some concours competitions then you have to be.

As you say, there are numerous pictures on the Web that show exhaust arrangements. The Alpine/Tiger Gold Porfolio, and Mike Taylor’s book, both show several under-the-car pictures that date back to when the original exhausts would have been on the cars in question.
        TR could also contact Rick at Sunbeam Specialties and buy an exhaust system, which is going to be as near OEM spec as anyone is going to find these days. There are several other places also offering stock-replacement exhaust systems, and asking specific questions about those would likely get TR better answers.

I don’t participate in formal concours competition; I don’t know if you’d be downgraded for showing the car with a stock-replacement exhaust over a ratty original one.

alpine-64
        Participant

I would say buy a copy of the brooklands road test book.. lots of photos of the cars when new.. including the underside.

I’m with Paul.
          If he wants to restore or make an Alger so what.
          Most Alpine to Tiger conversions are usually easy to spot.My cars have so many mods I really don’t worry what anyone will have to say.Mind you I will talk to all about them.I have never encountered an elitist type of person at any of the Sunbeam events such as SUNI 1.2 and 3.Maybe I wasn’t there if there was one when he saw my car.The Lister sat beside the real one at Montana Suni
          I have never passed them off as a Tiger although the Lister has Tiger on the front fenders.The 62 is marked as an Alpine with the side badge saying Sunbeam V8.

I certainly did not want to come off as an elitist. I am not.

I bought a Sunbeam "Tiger" in 1994 from a collector car dealer in downtown San Diego (I hope they are out of business). The car turned out to be a fake. I paid $17,000 for it.

The dealer claimed that it was a "consignment" car and would not give me the sellers name. I traded in a very nice 59 Bugeyed sprite and lot of $$$$ for it. I was not educated about the car and made a stupid purchase. Lesson learned.

Luckily for me I wrecked it and the insurance covered the cost of the car and for what I cleared I bought a 67 MGB GT.

So, I have some issues with fake/clone/Alger cars being produced.

BTW – that car’s VIN was B382000326LRXFE. It was sold by my insurance company for salvage in Enterprise, AL in 1995. Dark metallic blue, custom tan interior and a chrome roll bar.

Norman Miller knows and has documented the history.

tr

You guys are far far off been collecting Tigers since forever.
            The original Tiger Tom rebuild my first Tigers Tack in 1979. Drive
            a custom Tiger evreryday in the summer when its nice. Never
            cared about stock Tigers.. However, I have a project Tiger I bought
            back in 1985. Strippeed and primed on a rottesrie waiting for paint.
            This is where I’m at. My customs are airbrushed and chromed they
            wouldn’t know what undercoating is. My alpines only had undercoating
            in the wheel wells and under the rockers. This Tiger I stripped only had
            asmall amount of undercoating. In the tunnel was red primer which
            the factor missed when painting code 86. The green never made it.
            This is how original I want to go. If this was a corvette I could tell
            you where wax marks were left to show time of a day it was made.

I been assigned judging at our uniteds and don’t think there is a written rule as to undercoating location or volume. But Doug Jennings, Scott Worth might be people you should contact. I put it in the wheelwells to protect the fenders and cut down road noise. After all the work to get the stuff off I hated to put it all back. I would put heat sheild material in the tunnel, no one will see it and if you drive long distance it would cut down on the heat. I had my car TAC’ed in Montana, it passed in minutes, because they could see everything. Too much it looks like your hiding something. Spring made it to northern MI!

quote TR:

You guys are far far off been collecting Tigers since forever.
            The original Tiger Tom rebuild my first Tigers Tack in 1979. Drive
            a custom Tiger evreryday in the summer when its nice. Never
            cared about stock Tigers.. However, I have a project Tiger I bought
            back in 1985. Strippeed and primed on a rottesrie waiting for paint.
            This is where I’m at. My customs are airbrushed and chromed they
            wouldn’t know what undercoating is. My alpines only had undercoating
            in the wheel wells and under the rockers. This Tiger I stripped only had
            asmall amount of undercoating. In the tunnel was red primer which
            the factor missed when painting code 86. The green never made it.
            This is how original I want to go. If this was a corvette I could tell
            you where wax marks were left to show time of a day it was made.

I apologize if anyone took my comments personally – they were intended as a general view on the creation of Tiger clones (that being defined as an OEM Alpine chassis with Tiger specific sheetmetal and ID elements grafted on, for the purpose of "recreating" the original Tiger). Chuck Ingram’s Lister tribute, and several other "Algers" I know of, are not such cars, since the owners make no false claims about their vehicles and their origin.
            On my Tiger I removed all the road grunge from inside the transmission tunnel and covered it with a heat reflecting self-adhesive material – I forget the name. The tunnel interior (late Mk1A) was completely painted Rootes 86. The car has been repainted at least twice and has several generations of undercoating. Hard to tell what’s original and what’s not.

When I purchased my MKII in 1967 the dealer undercoated the car as an option. The theory was that undercoating prevented rust.

The entire underside was coated. When it was being prepped for this the "technician" taped over any holes that went through to the inside. That included the drain hole in the spare tire wheel well, which was the location of the fuel pump.

Eventually the trunk filled with water and shorted out the pump. Turns out the "technician" did not remove the tape from the spare tire well, allowing the water buil-up.

Enough said about undercoating.

Fred Baum

Hi TR,

Please follow the link to my webspace as I have uploaded some Tiger underbody pictures that you may be looking for. The pictures are some that I downloaded a while back.

Here is my link:

Hope this helps.

Regards, Robin.

Viewing 13 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.