Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Hello Everyone,

The Tiger is getting closer and closer to being roadworthy. 🙂 We are now looking at wheels and tires. I have asked a few folks directly and read as many threads as I can find on the subject but still have questions.

When we bought the Tiger it came with period 13" ET wheels. The tires were 205/60R13 all around.

The rebuilt engine is putting out 325 HP at the crank. A previous owner cut the fenders larger and modified the front valance. As best we can tell the wheels are all 38 offset. With this setup we have 3/4" of space from the tire to the valance at full lock.

What would be a good wheel size/tire combination for a Tiger with 325 hp and these types of modifications? I can supply more information if needed.

Thank you,

Sheldon

After going through 3 sets wheels, 4 sizes tires, know a bit about this….would recommend 15X7 rear, 15 x6 front.

Panasport, VTO Classic, Retro Sport, and Minilite all are good choices .

Offsets would recommend between 15-20mm this is about 4.5 to 4.75" for back, with leaf springs still in place…

Front between 22-24mm, 4.25 and 4.4" backspace (You can go more inboard on the front with a 15 inch wheel but no one makes that wheel in a 15×6)

16 inch gives you a bit more flexibility, but ride quality goes away in a hurry.

Tires, That depends…alot of guys run 195-50’s, or 205-50-15’s. Really around a 23" tire on front and a 24" rear is about the max even with mild body mod’s. I wanted to effect the gearing at highway speed for a few less rev’s (stock trans) so went with a 195-60 15 rear, and 185-55-15 front. Also running a 1/4 inch spacer on the rear (a bit of extra clearance from spring but probaly wouldn’t need to, like the look)…Went with Kumo’s 2 different treads to get sizes,(but similar) and both V rated. More of an all season tread pattern. 13 and 14 inch wheels could gain you a bit of height, but 13" tires are really limited unless you use a classic tire vendor ,and probaby would look a bit odd on your car. 14" might be might be ok, but limits you to an H speed rating and is difficult to get offsets to help square up the track. Also you metions an HP increase.

Don’t know how you use forum to contact someone directly, but would be happy to discuss it by phone…

A’h yes then there’s the subject of lug nuts……

Best Regards,

Mike

THERE ARE STILL A FEW MAKES OF 205-60-13 TIRES OUT THERE. SEARCHING THE INTERNET, TIRES-EASY ON THE WEST COAST HAS SOME, AND MAXXIS MAKES THEM, IN CASE YOU DON’T WANT TO POP $1000 FOR A SET OF 15 IN WHEELS.
      ROGER

If your going with 15" wheels you can use a 225/50/15 rear and a 205/50/15 front we’ve done this in the past ,on the Tiger we have at present were using 205s all around, also there are a lot of 205s available from many mfg’s Falken,Dunlop,Yokohama, to name a few, if you decide on 225s for the rear you
      will have to look for them. as a side note I’d look a VTOs easy to deal with when we got ours they shipped for free and supplied lug nuts in the deal, sone thing to thing about in todays world 13"&14" wheels and tires are limited.

I have Federal 205 60/13 tires on my original LAT wheels. They are the spec tire for the NASCAR Legends cars. They have an aggressive directional tread pattern. I haven’t driven the car with these tires yet (still putting it back together) so I can’t tell how they drive but they should have pretty good grip. You can Google the tire and find vendors that cater to the Legends race cars for sources. I got mine from Tiger Tom Pistone in Concord NC.

Hi Everyone,

We decided on 16" Panasports from Dale A and Fuzion ZRI tires. 🙂

Sheldon

The car at this point is stripped to the suspension (tires on) with just the bonnet, rear deck and doors on the vehicle. I have a vague plan of attack on what must be done in what sequence to get the car put back together.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.