Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Bill Flammer
      Participant

I am starting a full restoration on a 1966 Mk!A
        At this point I am not 100% certain of which course I will go on the drivetrain.
        I have heard pros and cons about using headers vs stock cast iron exhaust manifolds: I believe the engine in the car is the factory 260. Was there only one type of cast iron exhaust manifold used on all 260ci cars? Is there any advantage to using 289 cast iron manifolds? Are they different?
        What size exhaust systems are you using from the manifolds back? Steel, aluminum, stainless?
        What is the best vender for exhaust systems? What type of mufflers are maybe a little louder but livable?
        Any information that you have learned along the way is greatly appreciated!

I now have CAT club headers on my car. Dale designed them and Claudia has been welding them up. They are maintenance free stainless and I have zero leaks. They also tuck up tighter than any header I have seen on the Tiger. It used to be that Sanderson made Tiger headers and they hung below the oil pan so you ended up with D shaped rusted tubes. I used to have Tri Ys on my Tiger and it was a nice set up but you have to have a good exhaust guy to build the lower Y, it’s very labor intensive. As for the rest of the exhaust system I used a local exhaust shop that I like. 2 1/2 diameter pipes seem to work best.
        As for installing headers it can be done in the car by moving the engine off the mounts. If you have the engine out, install the drivers side out of the car then the passenger side once the engine is in.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.