Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

I purchased this vintage racer a few weeks ago and have not been able to find out much about it. The car came from the North Georgia area and has an Alpine East emblem on the dash. It is white with red stripes and has the number 36 on it and the letters fp. It has no windshield as it has a full cage. The car has an older SVRA tech sticker on the cage and there is evidence of a HRS tech decal under that one. The car also has flares and a white 4 spoke type wheel. Not sure how to post a pic of it on here but can answer any questions about it. Story was the car has been in storage for at least 8 or 9 years but that’s about all the guy would tell me that I bought it from. He said he had taken it and a Lotus as partial payment for a debt that was owed to him.

Thanks, Ill get it back out of the garage in a couple of weeks and take some better pics of it.

Looked it over a little better today and the only part I could find with a date was the fire bottle. Looks like the last time it was filled was in 92 so it has prob been sitting close to that long. The SVRA decal has the number 3 written in the white box and the HSR decal has 1 on it.

The small gold square next to the gauges on the dash is an ALpines East medalion.

Modracer,

I keep track of many of the various Alpine race cars and can’t say I have seen that car before.

Judging from the details it looks like it was prepared in the 80’s.

Can you check the rollbar for a stamped serial number? Typically, if the car ran in the SCCA (post-1970) there is a number stamped on the rollbar. This number is multi digit but the first two I believe are the "region" number and then the registration number.

If it only ran in SVRA and HSR I am not sure how you might track down more inforation. You might be able to write Jack Whorel (sp?) and he might be able to point you to somebody within the SVRA organization that may have records going back to the early 90’s. (I would guess those are group numbers on the HSR and SVRA stickers)

Steve Silverstein

Oh, I was also going to mention…. Tiger Tom might just remember this car. Wonder if he has seen this post.

Steve

quote Sunbeam74:

Modracer,

I keep track of many of the various Alpine race cars and can’t say I have seen that car before.

Judging from the details it looks like it was prepared in the 80’s.

Can you check the rollbar for a stamped serial number? Typically, if the car ran in the SCCA (post-1970) there is a number stamped on the rollbar. This number is multi digit but the first two I believe are the “region” number and then the registration number.

If it only ran in SVRA and HSR I am not sure how you might track down more inforation. You might be able to write Jack Whorel (sp?) and he might be able to point you to somebody within the SVRA organization that may have records going back to the early 90’s. (I would guess those are group numbers on the HSR and SVRA stickers)

Steve Silverstein

Thanks, Any idea the approximate location or does it vary? I’ll get it back out this weekend and look over it real close.

I had contacted Gordon Jolley because his site came up when I searched for Road Atlanta 91 and 92. He emailed me back and didnt have any film from thise races but has a database with 22000 cars in it and he said he only had 2 1964 Sunbeam Alpines listed for around that time. One was in 1990 driven by a Scott helveston and the other was in 1992 driven by a Craig Codrington. Without any references hard to tell and could be the same car or different but I was unable to find any other links for either guy that were racing related.

Found them!!! thanks… it has 007 and then there is a little spacing and it has 76 but then it looks like a symbol or it hard to make out and then followed by a 1 . any ideas?

Contacted the Chicago area SCCA today which is where the 007 originates and they are looking to see what they have on the car and said they would get back to me in a few days. Thanks for the tips.

Going to be a couple of weeks before they can get back to me but went ahead and listed it on Ebay last night. If it doesnt meet reserve we may still fix it later down the road but it seems to be hard to find parts around here to put it back together and I picked up a Cale Yarborough Cyclone Spoiler over the weekend that is all there and runs decent.

Mike Schreiner
      Participant

I have a spare Alpine engine that I will sell that would be great in this car…..50k orig miles block…(needs crank turned due to oil leak last time run)……I have a used but good set of Holbay Flat top pistons, new rings/bearings. new performance cam and bearings, A head modified per Vizzard specs (still needs to be cc’d) A new set of twin Webber 2brl downdraft set up…..new headers and a used holbay distributor and holbay valve cover…..interested? Mike in Jupiter, Florida

quote mikeflbmer:

I have a spare Alpine engine that I will sell that would be great in this car…..50k orig miles block…(needs crank turned due to oil leak last time run)……I have a used but good set of Holbay Flat top pistons, new rings/bearings. new performance cam and bearings, A head modified per Vizzard specs (still needs to be cc’d) A new set of twin Webber 2brl downdraft set up…..new headers and a used holbay distributor and holbay valve cover…..interested? Mike in Jupiter, Florida

I think I would prob just rather have a complete running motor as I know nothing about these. I have it back on EBAY right now but I did find out the log book was registered to the car in 1986. Still no word as to who but with it being 86 I prob wouldn’t have a problem making changes to the car and turning it into an autocrosser or something else if it stays around. thanks and I’ll keep it in mind though.

Viewing 12 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.