Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Ronald Fraser
      Participant

I read a statement that the 1st 56 Tigers used the Cobra clutch bracket, I would like to confirm that statement.

The Cobra bracket was cast for AC Cars LTD so it is very possible that the AF Tigers have the Cobra bracket. Tiger engine groups involved would be the T15KL and E7KL. Many of these engines have been lost to time but I would think the clutch bracket would get transferred with any new engine.

There are differences between the Cobra and Tiger brackets, the Cobra bracket has thicker webs.

Asking anyone with an AF or early Tiger if they have a picture of their clutch bracket to share.

Ron Fraser
        rfraser@bluefrog.com

Ronald Fraser
        Participant

Here is a comparison photo of the Cobra and Rootes clutch brackets from Dan Case.
          The Cobra bracket is 1.5″ thick, the Rootes bracket is 1.25″ thick
          I’m still looking for photo proof of the bracket on early Tigers, engine groups T15KL and E7KL

Attachments:
          Ron and Cathy Stein
          Participant

Is there any difference in the thickness at the ends? I’m thinking that if the Cobra ones are rare, the Cobra guys could use the Tiger one and it would accomodate the slave cylinder at the same geometry, or is there a dimension that would prevent it from working? I would think the 1/4″ difference in the middle wouldn’t effect the strength enough to worry about it.

Ronald Fraser
            Participant

I don’t have full measurements of the Cobra clutch slave cylinder brackets. I just thought the thickness was the easiest point to check. The ribs on the Cobra bracket are a little thicker and it weighs a bit more.

The strength of the bracket is dependent on the cast iron mix and the casting process. The strength of the 2 brackets is probably very similar.

Reproduction brackets are listed as 5 & 6 bolt compatible and are made of aluminum.

The objective of my inquiry is to understand if Rootes purchased any Cobra clutch slave cylinder brackets.
              The Shelby American engines all had the Cobra bracket, but I believe Rootes had ample time to draft and cast this part.

I am looking for photo proof of any Cobra bracket on early Tigers.

Ronald Fraser
              Participant

Score card Cobra vs Rootes
                Cobra – 1 in the T15KL engine group
                Rootes – 2 in the E7KL engine group

I encourage anyone with an early Tiger, production or competition, to check the clutch slave cylinder bracket
                You may think you don’t have the original engine, but the bracket most likely followed to the engine.

Show me what you have and let’s run up the score.
                Here is another picture showing the differences between the Cobra and Rootes bracket.

Ron Fraser
                rfraser@bluefrog.com

Attachments:
            Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.