Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author
      Bob and Jean Webb
      Participant

i posted some photos of the body restoration of my series 4 on photobucket.
        http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt142/65beam/ it may be at the united this year.

Looks like good metal in there. There’s still a way to go though. What are your present challenges?

Nearly got a slick solution for the timing case cover seal. I’ll work on it a little bit Monday.

Though I don’t own an Alpine, I too have been working on a solution for the cover seal. It’s in the thought stages right now but could be a very viable solution that could end the problem forever.

Fred Baum

Bob and Jean Webb
        Participant

eric,
          it’s rust free. but my body man replaced a lot of panels. there was damage to the right rear fender along the top boot door that happened at the dipper so we replaced most of the fender with sections from a tiger that had no dents. we cut up a rust free series 3 GT to restore this car. he really knows how to drill spot welds. all the welding is done and should be back in the rack next week and get epoxy primed. then a coat of filler and blocking. when it comes out of the shop it will have a rebuilt front crossmember, rebuilt rear and springs, crashpad and winshield installed, top frame and door windows, all hinges and locks,fuel tanks , brake lines etc. he says i may have the body in august so it may be at the united. everything for the car is cleaned, detailed,plated, polished and ready to install but things may happen.

Bob and Jean Webb
          Participant

i have posted more photos of the alpine over the summer. it won’t be at the united since he is still blocking the panels and he will take time out for the united. he wants to paint it before the weather gets colder.

Bob and Jean Webb
            Participant

i posted some more photos today. it has doors!

Gotta get the painting in before the weather goes cold.

Bob and Jean Webb
              Participant

eric,
                the plan as of yesterday is for the under side to be painted before he heads out for the run offs and the united. then the rest of it should get painted after that. it will have forest green all over it’s body including the hard top.

Bob and Jean Webb
                Participant

i posted a few more photos of the restoration today.

Hi, I’ve done 4 oil seal mods & all have been OK. http://dodgealpine.yolasite.com/ Click on website link, then oil seal mod to view it. What do you think?

I’ve seen several different approaches to the oil seal mod, which all result in success. The tough part is keeping the new larger hole for the seal in concentric with the original hole. We were probably overly pedantic about how TT and I did mine and Bob’s, but I wanted to make sure it was going to work right. We made the ring in the lathe to hold the seal so it fit into the depression for the original. The excess material was removed with a hole saw. Then the ring brazed in for a perfect fit.

(Nice website btw, Dave. I like your sensible mods.)

Before you do the mod you will find that one of the concentric lines in the timing cover is the correct diameter to grind/ machine for the seal holder to fit. 1st time of doing this I accuratley marked out where the new hole should be, It fell where the pressed dia lay. After grinding it out it was rechecked and found to be within 0.005" of positional accuracy. As this is within the setting linits for the seal I called it close enough! It maintained this accuracy after TIG welding, Far more accurate than braising. Cheers for looking

Bob and Jean Webb
                  Participant

i posted some more photos of the alpine on my photobucket site. all the body work is now done and it got the second coat of primer yesterday. it should only need blocked one more time. he has the paint for the underneath side so it’s closer!

Bob and Jean Webb
                    Participant

i’ve added more photos to photobucket http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt142/65beam/ it’s close to being ready to haul home.

Bob and Jean Webb
                      Participant

i posted a few photos of the car on all four wheels. he installed the driver door window today. all that is left for him to do is to install the windhield and final buffing. then it comes home for final assembly. http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt142/65beam/

Getting closer all the time. Its looking good so far…. devil’s in the details.

I prefer your license plate bracket to mine. Its just better down below.

My favorite color too.

Bob and Jean Webb
                        Participant

other than the final buffing,he should be done this week. everything is cleaned and detailed,ready to bolt on. the interior is ready to install.

Bob and Jean Webb
                          Participant

i posted two photos today. the shop has finished what he had to do and we are hauling it home saturday.

Bob and Jean Webb
                            Participant

we brought the car home today .needs cleaning and reassembly.

Are you doing a standard black interior?

Bob and Jean Webb
                              Participant

eric,
                                we’re using a black interior. the car has always had black pebble grain with loose flap seats. we installed a new interior a few years before the restoration so all i need to do is reinstall it. everything for the car is detailed,rebuilt, boxed and ready to install.

Bob and Jean Webb
                                Participant

i posted some photos showing the rear of the car with the luggage rack installed.

Bob and Jean Webb
                                  Participant

i’ve posted a lot of photos of the assembly of the car. it now has it’s engine. http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt142/65beam/

Looking sharp and well polished. I had a terrible time polishing the valve cover on mine. The casting was terribly porous, and looked like heck. I gave up and powder-coated. Looks like yours is just fine.

Were you able to locate the correct firewall grommet for the accelerator linkage? I used an "accordion" grommet off a ’69 and it worked out alright. Looks a bit strange, but functionally its superior than the alternatives.

Bob and Jean Webb
                                    Participant

eric,
                                      sunbeam specialties has the grommet for the firewall .a shop in dayton polished the valve cover and the intake along with several other parts such as the windshield mouldings. the valve cover was an NOS i bought in the UK several years ago. no dings,nicks or scratches so it was easy for the shop to polish. most of the chrome including the pot metal wing window bases and the chrome on the top boot doors, was repaired and replated at librandi’s. the car is starting to come together but we are not going to have it at the united. none of our cars have clear coat on the paint. it still has not had the final color sanding, detailing and buffing to the exterior paint. it now has all the letters,emblems, luggage rack etc removed to make it easier for proctor to work on. the underside of the body has the same green paint but is has more shine than the exterior.he used an enamel and the trans bracket,etc are powder coated so it’s clean. we’ll see what kind of shine the body has after dave finishes it. there are things we need to change since the spring shop arched the rear springs too much. we also had a local machine shop rebuild the engine. it was one of the short blocks that SS sold many years ago and had about 4000 miles on it but it had set for over three years so we didn’t want to risk having to pull it again. it’s going to be a few weeks before we try to start it. we’re not going to rush it plus we’re also working on the RHD harrington . jean and i were at librandi’s three weeks ago and picked up bumpers over riders, eyebrow moulding,and several mics. parts for the harrington.

Bob and Jean Webb
                                      Participant

the series 4 went back to the shop in January and after a few issues popped up it’s finally home. we picked it up sunday. i’ll post some photos this weekend after I install the door mirrors and the driving lights.

Good to hear it is home for good now Bob! Will the Dayton show be the first one it is shown at? Eric

Bob and Jean Webb
                                        Participant

eric,
                                          we’re taking it to the vintage races at mid ohio next week and to the vintage races/ brit show at Pittsburgh mid july. the 69 got accepted for the bobby rahal foundation show in Columbus july 31. if you can make it up on Wednesday you would enjoy the show in Columbus. the lineup of cars that they have is unreal.

Bob and Jean Webb
                                          Participant

I posted photos of the finished car on photobucket. http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt142/65beam/ it’s been several years but it was worth it.

Viewing 28 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.