Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Rick Huber
      Participant

Hi All,
        New to Alpines. Have a 63 with a rebuilt original engine. I’ve installed an oil pressure line to the gauge, but wasn’t sure where to attach it on the block. Here’s a picture of a small brass plug just forward of the dip stick pipe. That’s where I connected the oil pressure line. However, now I spin the engine with the plugs out, and don’t see any oil pressure after several 10 second cranks. Can you help?

Cheers,
        Rick
        63 Series III Alpine

Rick Huber
        Participant

Trying the picture again

Oil pressure gauge connection

Rick Huber
          Participant

I give up on the picture. Anybody give me some guidance?

Rick – Hi, a couple ideas for you. Has the engine been run yet after its rebuild? If not the oil pump is probably still trying to fill the oil filter. The oil pressure line is located in the engine’s main oil gallery downstream from the oil filter, and so the pressure gauge won’t show any reading until after the oil filter gets filled. This can take a bit of time at the relatively slow cranking speed. One trick I use on engines where the oil filter is difficult or impossible to prefill is to crank the engine and let it just fire before turning the ignition off. This lets the engine crank faster to fill the oil filter quicker, but without running long enough to starve the crankshaft bearings of oil.

Gary

Rick – Alternately, you can remove the spark plugs to allow the engine to crank faster until it builds oil presuure. I used this trick when reawakening my Series 3 GT.

Gary

Rick Huber
            Participant

Hi Gary,
              Thanks for the reply and the assistance. I’m spinning it with the plugs out, wanting to see oil pressure before I put any compression force on the bearings. I thought I had spun it enough to fill up the oil filter, but then I got to thinking that I’m not really sure that I’ve connected the oil pressure pick up line in the right place. I’ve looked again just now all around the oil filter from above and don’t see any fitting where the oil pressure line could connect. Your description of the location of the oil pressure fitting, “The oil pressure line is located in the engine’s main oil gallery downstream from the oil filter”, sounds like internal to the engine, so I still don’t know where to connect the fitting for the gauge. Can you describe where that is? I tried to attach a picture of where I’m connecting my oil pressure gauge, but neither the LINK or the IMG selections across the top of the message window worked for me. Perhaps we could switch to email and continue. I’m at hubrick@gmail.com.
              Cheers,
              Rick

Rick,

I don’t know if you and Gary have connected offline or if the series V block is similar enough to the series 3, but I’ve attached a picture of where my pressure gauge line is attached. I suspect any of the drillings into the gallery will give about the same pressure, but per the original mfr is probably best.

To upload a picture, don’t use the IMG selection. Below your post you should see an area called Upload Attachments. Please mote that there is a 1MB file size limitation. There is a post that describes how to resize pictures if necessary:https://www.teae.org/forums/topic/adding-images-to-your-post/

Joe

Attachments:
          Viewing 6 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.