Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I am leaving Tuesday to drive to Winnipeg for the funeral the following day of Chuck Ingram. It is some over 435 miles to my motel and with some additional miles to travel to Chuck’s home and the church I am quite sure I will log over 1000 miles by the time I am back home. Normally I do not drive the Sunbeams this time of year, but I thought this warranted an exception. The weather has been quite moderate and there is no bad weather in the forecast. I will take Ol’ Blue.

Have a safe trip Paul! I bet you don’t see another Sunbeam on the road either-is Ol’ Blue Ed’s former car? Give our best to Chuck’s family.

I probably should have made the initial post in the modified Alpine area. Nonetheless….

I made the trip to Winnipeg in Ol’ Blue, the ’67 Series V I have owned and driven for 48 years. In all the years of ownership I have never before driven it on salted roads. That all changed while driving in Winnipeg and along Manitoba Hwy 75 and I-29 in North Dakota. The car could now be called "Ol’ Gray". It’s a mess. With the return of cold winter temps it will be a couple of days before I’ll be able to wash/clean it.

As some of you know, Ol’ Blue has been modified with a 2.8V6 and a Toyota 5 speed. It cruises very comfortably at 70 mph and delivers fuel economy at 25mpg and slightly above. It is easily possible to drive at even higher speeds – there was a time heading south on Interstate 29 that I was running 75/76 and had a lot of throttle left. My GPS registered a high speed of 86mph – I think while I was passing a triple bottom truck. I drove a total of 1056 miles, most of it in 30 degree temps. While it could not be described as warm in the car it was not uncomfortable. And the heater/blower created enough moving air to keep the windshield clean.

With my wiring kit installed I had no concerns about Prince Lucas pulling any pranks. And the Miata MX5 seats were very comfortable.

I am glad I could make the trip in a Sunbeam to honor my longtime friend Chuck. later then, Paul

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.