Stock Mk1a heater hose replacements

Post any Tech Tips you may have or any service related questions.
gbyxbee
Silver
Silver
Club Member of TEAE?: Yes
Membership Number: 237

Stock Mk1a heater hose replacements

Postby gbyxbee » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:56 pm

NAPA #9802 replaces the PVC hose (providing the 90 degree valve fitting is installed, and if heater hose is okay on PVC's), and from the temperature sensor block to the heater control valve. You would need two. NAPA #9812 replaces hoses from the carb spacer rear to the "TEE", from the "TEE" to the water pump, from the intake 90 degree fitting to the temperature sensor block, and from the temperature sensor block to the carb spacer front. You would need one. Might not be a bad idea to carry these numbers in the console in case you blow one on the road and there's a NAPA close by.

tigertoms
Platinum
Platinum
Club Member of TEAE?: No

Re: Stock Mk1a heater hose replacements

Postby tigertoms » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:54 pm

Unless heater hose material technology has changed in recent years, it can not (should not) be used for PVC hose. The hose will swell, become mushy and eventually disconnect. This is more a yuck factor than a safety or pollution issue. Don't ask how I know this stuff. TT
TT.......TE/AE #2

gbyxbee
Silver
Silver
Club Member of TEAE?: Yes
Membership Number: 237

Postby gbyxbee » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:58 am

Thanks, Tom. I don't know if I'll ever put that many miles on the car to have that hose deteriorate in such a way. I did recently pull out my original servo-to-manifold vacuum hose to find the end at the manifold virtually plugged up with hard residue of some kind. I assume that's from the inside wall of the hose. Of course I replaced it. People out there who still have that original hose in place might want to think about removing it and checking theirs out.

tigertoms
Platinum
Platinum
Club Member of TEAE?: No

Postby tigertoms » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:46 pm

As you noted restrictions can be exasperated by the break down of the hose. Good point about making sure line is open as preventive maintenance. Over time the oil fumes along with hose breakdown can gel, coagulate and plug the openings. It is something that needs checked in old systems. TT
TT.......TE/AE #2

Return to “Tech Tips”