SUBGROUP: Convertible Top
DATE: May 12, 1967
SUBJECT: Incorrect Stowage Of Convertible Top
MODELS: Alpine V & Tiger II
It is obvious from our inspections of a number of vehicles having poor fitting convertible tops, especially around the door windows, that this condition has been caused by incorrect top stowage.
Important: Lowering & Stowage Instructions
- Lower window glass of both doors. Remove sun visors (if fitted) as follows:
Lower the visors, push in toward the center pivot bracket, pull down outside ends and remove the visors.
Release the header rail hold-down brackets by pulling the top ends down.
- Release the stud fasteners retaining the top to the top of the body and tuck the side top material down inside the car, especially at the front corners.
- Lift header rail and remove from the two tension rods, fold the tension rods into the nylon clips at the front side rails. Close the head rail hold-down bracket. Remove the side rails from the corners of the windshield.
- Move the header rail and the top to the rear, pulling back on the front support rail and rest on the boot lid.
- Unsnap the two fasteners, fold the center cover forward by lifting up the two fasteners, fold two side covers forward, unhook the two straps and lay on top of the center cover.
- Lower the top into the stowage compartment; be sure the rear window is folded with gentle curve and not creased.
- Smooth out the window by hand. Bring the two support rails together and press them well below the edge of the body.
- Start one end of the header rail into the stowage compartment with snap fasteners up, follow with the other end and press down.
- Hinge the two side rails over and down on top of the header rail.
- Hook the two straps over the stowed top; fit the two side covers.
IF AT ANY TIME DURING THE RAISING OR LOWERING OF THE TOP, FORCE IS REQUIRED, THIS INDICATES THAT INSTRUCTIONS HAVE OBVIOUSLY NOT BEEN FOLLOWED AND USUALLY CAUSES DAMAGE TO THE BRACKETS.
NOTE: The above method cannot be used on series IV and earlier model Alpines, nor on the Tiger I.
Raising instructions are included in the owner’s operation manual.
When you are called upon to investigate complaints of considerable gap between the top and rear vertical face of the door glass, the following action should be taken:
- Remove top pivot brackets from rear quarter panel and top frame.
- Fit replacement brackets, part #2220782 (R.H.) and #2220783 (L.H.).
- When the vehicle is delivered to the owner, the correct method of top stowage, as described above, must be demonstrated to the owner and he should be made aware of the damage which can occur due to incorrect stowage.