by Ed Esslinger in the June 1997 RootesReview

Of the three Series V’s I have owned, not one had a good warning light simulator when I bought them. I believe it’s because it’s not hermetically sealed. Moisture and air cause the heat element to deteriorate and the internal parts to rust and fail.

Approx. 7.5 v. from the alternator is applied to the AL lug on the simulator (3AW) causing the heat element to expand and open the ground contact to the warning light. As the warning light simulator is nothing more than a relay to turn off the charge indicator lamp when the alternator has an output, I have installed a $3 Radio Shack relay in the existing housing, thus saving $30, and it will probably last longer.

Tools needed: Soldering iron, flux, 22 gauge solid hook up wire. RS Part=#= 275-005 9V DC relaywarning light

Procedure:

1. Disconnect negative lead from battery.
  2. ID and label the wires on the simulator.
  3. Remove the wires from the simulator and remove the simulator.
  4. Carefully pry up the crimped ridge of the simulator with a knife or other tool and remove the internal assembly.
  5. Remove all internal parts of the device, leaving only the 3 contacts on the base.
  6. Clean the internal contacts with a file, and tin them with solder and flux.
  7. Using the diagram and hookup wire, solder the relay in place.
  8. Reassemble and reconnect.

Leave a Reply