By Robert Jaarsma
First published in Rootes Review August 2005

B.A.T.A.N.S Robert Hamilton (rear) and TE/AE’s   Dave Reina in their Sunbeams (photo by R. Jaarasma)  Several members of TE/AE met with “B.A.T.A.N.S.”. It is a close knit group of dedicated British car owners- the British Automobile Touring Association of Nova Scotia (B.A.T.A.N.S., www.batans.ca ). About 12 members were making a nine day run to southern New England.

TE/AE members Ted Brown and Steve Towle met them at the Owls Head Transportation Museum (Wings & Wheels Spectacular). Member David Reina drove to my house with his family in his red 1953 Sunbeam Talbot and I drove my Sunbeam Venezia. We met the group in Quechee, VT for dinner. The next day we toured with the group, visiting “Lyme Pond Restorations” in Barnard, VT. The owner, Steve Cota is restoring a rare Alpine Special (Talbot type). B.A.T.A.N.S. member Bob Hamilton drove his 1953 Sunbeam Talbot drophead coupe, bought in Montreal in 1962. Next was a spectacular private collection out in the woods, followed by a drive to the home of Michael Bonnadouchi, who has cow barns filled with British car parts for sale, particularly Triumph and Landrover. It was quite an experience to tour with this group!

B.A.T.A.N.S. Steve Cota leads the way in his 1971 Morris Minor Woody wagonA great three day British car event happens annually at Prince Edward Island.

The B.A.T.A.N.S. are planning to return in 2006 to the British Invasion in Stowe, VT.

For information about Sunbeam Talbots contact Robert (Bob) A.C.Hamilton. He owns Sunbeam Talbots – Alpines, Dropheads and Saloons, 1953-’54, with a website and forum at: www.sunbeamtalbot.info

Leave a Reply