United XXXII Announcement

Information pertaining to the 2013 United. If you weren't there to share the fun, make sure you don't miss the next one.
SVRon
Silver
Silver
Club Member of TEAE?: No
Membership Number: 0

Re: United XXXII Announcement

Postby SVRon » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:05 pm

Thanks Kerch, that's all I'm concerned about. I probably did something wrong and it didn't go through, but would rest easier knowing for sure.

SVRon
Silver
Silver

Postby SVRon » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:42 pm

OK :D Got it through and email conformation. I don't know what happened, last time, but it went through PayPal w/no problems this time.
Thanks for the help and time
See ya there
Ron

Singer
Silver
Silver

Postby Singer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:37 pm

At least two Rootes Group owners will be driving from Nova Scotia, Canada to attend this years' United.
We have concerns about availability of ethanol-free gasoline. We have no problems driving through Nova Scotia and New Brunswick as high test is still available ethanol-free. Beginning in Maine and down to Maryland we are no sure where to refuel. I know there is a map online showing locations, but how accurate/up to date is it?.
How do you guys handle this problem in your older cars, or should we be concerned regarding the 6 or so fill ups we will be doing in the US.
Thanks for any suggestions or advise.
Rod

SVRon
Silver
Silver

Postby SVRon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:27 am

Living in Maryland, I'm not aware of any stations that have gas w/no ethanol (10%). Although I believe ethanol gas is stupid, for several reasons, I have to say, I haven't had any problems w/it in my SV.

Tom Jeffers
Silver
Silver
Club Member of TEAE?: Yes
Membership Number: 1440

Postby Tom Jeffers » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:43 am

I try and only use ethanol free gas in all my carburetor cars. I have used the web site pure-gas.org and I am finding it more accurate than it used to be. But in all my drives to the United's, I always end up having to put some ethanol gas in the tank. What I do is as soon as I return home, I siphon as much gas out of the tanks as I can and put it in my fuel injected car. The I drive to my local ethanol free gas station and fill up.
Tom

Mark1A
Platinum
Platinum
Membership Number: 931

Postby Mark1A » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:28 pm

I've been using "gas treatments" in the whole pre-1996 fleet of cars -including those 80s fuel-injected ones - as well as the lawn equipment (after wrecking several mower/snowblower/etc carbs). Eastwood has two varieties (one for daily driving and one that alos includes a preservative). I am unaware of "pure" gasoline in NJ, but will check that website (Thanks, Tom). StarTron, Seafoam, and several other additives claim to eliminate ethanol problems, maybe bring a couple of bottles along for "just in case"(?).
Good luck,
Mark

65sunbeam
Chairman
Chairman
Membership Number: 257

Latest United Updates!

Postby 65sunbeam » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:08 pm

This year's United celebrates 60 years of the Alpine with many special
events planned for Alpine owners! The location is St. Michaels, Maryland-which is on the Eastern Shore.
The early registration cutoff date is August 15th and the block of reserved
hotel rooms expires then too.
Here is some more updated information-I hope that you can join us with your Alpine, Tiger, Hillman, Talbot, Harrington, Imp or any other Rootes car.
http://www.rootesamerica.org/

Celebrating 60 Years of the Alpine!
 Plans are shaping up well for United XXXII which will take place in beautiful St. Michaels on Maryland’s Eastern Shore October 10-13. St. Michaels is a beautiful seaside town on the Chesapeake Bay with a nice selection of shops, museums and restaurants. We’ve added some nice features to this year’s event including several special guests who will be spending the weekend with us.
 Registration has been very strong and we’re expecting a big turnout. Don’t forget, the early registration discount ends on August 15th as does our lock on the hotel block of rooms. Register online at: http://www.rootesamerica.org/

Our goal is to encourage as many Alpines as possible to attend and we’ve created a special “Sprit of the Alpine” award. Alpines will be displayed prominently at the Concours. Hagerty Insurance is sponsoring this award.

 The Historic Vehicle association / FIVA will be presenting a Preservation Award given to the best preserved Rootes Group Vehicle so bring out those unrestored, but well loved cars!

 SPECIAL GUESTS: Tim Suddard editor of Classic Motorsports and Grassroots Motorsports will be our guest speaker at Sunday’s banquet. (Tim restored a Tiger chronicled in a series of articles and will actually be spending the entire weekend with us. The club and United will be featured in an article for the magazine). John Roseby is travelling from Great Britain to participate. John is well known in Alpine circles for his restorations and knowledge of Alpine transmissions, especially overdrive units. John will present a tech session for all interested. Martha Wheat/Christiansen who many may know for her excellent upholstery kits will also be here.
"Life is too short to own just one Sunbeam!"
TE/AE #257

jkgriffs
Silver
Silver
Membership Number: 2067

Postby jkgriffs » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:47 am

Regarding the rooms for the United, I made reservations last week by phone and was told there were no King rooms left omly Queens or doubles, I was also told the rooms were booked for several days like before and after, and I was asked for an email address so a conformation could be sent to me,which did come (after a second phone call) however the rates were clearly explaned to me as to how much per day which is what is on the clube web site so all in all it was somewhat painless!

Joel
jkgriffs

65beam
Gold
Gold
Membership Number: 981

Postby 65beam » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:44 pm

joel,
there were no king rooms in our block . the hotel only has a total of 7 king rooms. I heard last weekend that there are some rooms that have not been remodeled yet.

65sunbeam
Chairman
Chairman

Re: United XXXII Registration has been extended!

Postby 65sunbeam » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:55 pm

Rootes Group Enthusiasts,

We’ve had a great response to this year’s United XXXII in St. Michaels, Md. As of today, we have over 130 people and 60+ cars attending. This is a reminder that if you plan to join us for this year’s event, get those registrations in. We’ve been able to extend the early registration rates at the hotel until September 9th or until the block of rooms is sold out. We’ll also honor the early United registration rates until September 9th. Because of overwhelming interest in the Chesapeake Cruise, we are now sold out. You can register online at:

http://www.rootesamerica.org

TE/AE #257

SVRon
Silver
Silver

Postby SVRon » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:15 am

Hi, My wife wants to know just how fancy she should dress, for the banquet?
Yeah, I guess I need to know if I should bring a jacket, also.
Ron

Tom Jeffers
Silver
Silver
Membership Number: 1440

Postby Tom Jeffers » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:06 am

Ron,
I don't think there is a required dress code. Most people save their nicest and cleanest clothes they brought for the banquet. A few people will wear nice shorts or clean jeans and a T-shirt. A few will wear a jacket and a tie. Most are in between that. I usually try and bring slacks and a shirt with a collar. The range for women as I remember is casual to dressy. Plan to wear something comfortable and that you have room to pack in a Sunbeam.
Tom

SVRon
Silver
Silver

Postby SVRon » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:20 am

Thanks, Tom.
Ron

65sunbeam
Chairman
Chairman

Postby 65sunbeam » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:03 pm

Thanks for the info Tom-you do have to dress nicer as you are married to the President.....!
We have seen the whole range of clothing at previous banquets-sometimes even dirty jeans/shirt from a parking lot Sunbeam repair.
Eric

TE/AE #257

Mark1A
Platinum
Platinum
Membership Number: 931

help- Suggestions? United XXXII

Postby Mark1A » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:26 pm

Well, I got the Tiger all cleaned up as best I can, and loaded it on the trailer for our planned Wednesday departure... but then "Murphy" stepped in :evil: - no brakelights on the Tiger. (I currently use silicone fluid with a stock switch)
If anyone has an idea how to take care of this (short notice, etc), it would be appreciated.
For reference, I don't think that the "Sharkey Solution" at the B.A.S.H. was that good :?
Thanks,
Mark
'66 Tiger Mk1a - since 1985 - T.A.C.# 0597
Wally Swift Trophy winner 2002, '05, '08

Return to “Rootes United XXXII Information”