United XXXII Announcement

Information pertaining to the 2013 United. If you weren't there to share the fun, make sure you don't miss the next one.
65beam
Gold
Gold
Club Member of TEAE?: Yes
Membership Number: 981

Re: United XXXII Announcement

Postby 65beam » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:43 pm

mark,
hit the brake light switch with a large wrench. it may take a few tries to unstick it.

Mark1A
Platinum
Platinum
Membership Number: 931

Postby Mark1A » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:44 pm

Thanks - I whacked it pretty good.. nothing :(
Also noted that it looks like it has been leaking, too - kinda dirty around the whole switch(brake fluid was also low, now I know why).
I guess I'll order one up tomorrow (from ??) and have it shipped overnite to have it Tuesday. I'll bring it along to St Michael's and hope that I can get some guidance on the installation...

65beam
Gold
Gold
Membership Number: 981

Postby 65beam » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:52 pm

mark,
sunbeam specialties should have them.

Tom Jeffers
Silver
Silver
Membership Number: 1440

Postby Tom Jeffers » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:53 pm

Mark,
I had the same problem more than once. I finally added a micro switch that actuates by the brake pedal. No more problems.
I just got a generic micro switch, fabricated a bracket so the micro switch would be actuated when the brake pedal was at rest. To wire it, you first need to remove the wires from the factory switch and connect then together. I used a 1/4 inch spade jumper and insulated it with shrink tubing. In the wire harnesses by the clutch and brake pedals, look for a green wire with a purple stripe, that conveniently has a bullet connection. Break the connection and wire the switch in series with the green wire with the purple stripe using the common and normally closed terminals on the micro switch.

SVRon
Silver
Silver
Club Member of TEAE?: No
Membership Number: 0

Postby SVRon » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:55 pm

I'm planning on leaving Elkridge, MD (near US1 and US175) before noon on Friday. Taking US175 to US32 to I 97 to US50/US301 and on to St. Michaels. I'm flexable on time. If anyone thinks they may be on the road, on these routes around this time, let me know. Maybe we can meet up, on the road. My wife, Linda, will be following in her modern Mini.
Ron

Mark1A
Platinum
Platinum
Membership Number: 931

Postby Mark1A » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:56 pm

Scott had one switch left "in stock" and got it shipped out for me to get tomorrow.
Tom - the microswitch sounds like a good idea, but at this point I need the fix to be fast & easy... hopefully I can install it Tuesday nite.

Return to “Rootes United XXXII Information”