HILLMAN HUNTER 1725cc engine

Moderators: RUSS, jaars

frank mooney
Silver
Silver

HILLMAN HUNTER 1725cc engine

Postby frank mooney » Thu May 25, 2006 4:08 pm

PRINCE BORGHESE'S Trail-10,000 Miles Over Two Continents,Four Deserts,And The Roof Of The World In The Peking To Paris Motor Challenge is the story of two American women driving and navigating in 1997 a late 1960's Hillman Hunter[ with the 1725cc engine dual Strombergs] as part of a 100 plus car classic and ancient car rally reenacting the 1907 Peking To Paris Ralley.The two women had virtually no rally experience,no mechanical expertise but somehow the tough Rootes machine held up notwithstanding the Lucas components,the welding and rewelding required to repair the steering,the miserable new Avon replacement tires etc.,etc.The competitors are a mixed breed of car enthusiasts including a fair share of eccentric wackos.The road and weather conditions were at times horrendous for any vehicle much less cars with this mixed heritage.The bureaucrats at some of the borders were in a world of their own oblivios to all but the sound of their stamps and demands for multiple documentation.On the other hand local mechanics were of help augmenting the rally's hard pressed mechanics.A great read by Genevieve Obert. frank mooney

jaars
Platinum
Platinum
Club Member of TEAE?: Yes
Membership Number: 1248

Postby jaars » Fri May 26, 2006 11:40 am

Frank,
Do we agree, my wife and I read it aloud and couldn't stop! She is not a car buff but enjoyed all their endeavours.
A great book. another TEAE member, George Barton, pointed me to that book.
Robert

jaars
Platinum
Platinum
Club Member of TEAE?: Yes
Membership Number: 1248

Postby jaars » Fri May 26, 2006 11:40 am

Frank,
Do we agree, my wife and I read it aloud and couldn't stop! She is not a car buff but enjoyed all their endeavours.
A great book. another TEAE member, George Barton, pointed me to that book.
Robert

frank mooney
Silver
Silver

Postby frank mooney » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:57 pm

I was so impressed by the ability of the vehicle, especially the 1725 engine, to compete and complete the monster rally that I decided to drive my Series 5 to United 26.It's west of the Hudson but short of 10,000 miles.I bought the Series 5 new in 1966 having traded a Series 1.It drove well to United 25 but I thought it was Tiger time this year.I've ordered new front shocks.I know I've replaced the shocks at least once[and put in a new engine in 1976] but I can't remember if I replaced the shocks again or did any other major engine work in the past 30 years!I must have but sure don't remember.The new 1725 engines that Chrysler had in stock through the 1980' or so.s were sent to Iran and or Iraq.The book points out that the Hillman Hunter was assembled in Iran.I don't think I'll be going there to troll for parts.Some nasty people hanging around or so they tell me. frank mooney

Return to “Hillman”