IMP ARTICLE

Moderators: RUSS, jaars

CLEVITE

IMP ARTICLE

Postby CLEVITE » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:00 am

Coming soon in Classic Motorsports will be an article about IMPs. It will highlight the IMP as an answer to the 50's gas crisis (what, there was one BEFORE 1973?)

Fred Baum

ImpBarn
Platinum
Platinum
Club Member of TEAE?: Yes
Membership Number: 2897

Re: IMP ARTICLE

Postby ImpBarn » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:31 am

The Suez Canal Crisis of 1956 was a big hit to the French and British firms that had large stakes in the control of the canal. When Egyptian President Nassar nationalized the canal, it caused a great deal of political unrest in Europe. Free transportation thru the canal was in jeopardy, no limits were made to the fees to pass through.

Pres Eisenhower didn't feel it was appropriate to bring action to this unfriendly act, so it didn't really affect the US. However 1/3 of all the ships that passed through the canal were British, so their stake in the crisis was huge. They suffered a great deal with oil shortages in the late 50's. 8 western ships were sunk by the Egyptians during the hostilities. There was talk of invasions, the Soviets were involved... it was a big international mess.

Thus was born the economy car in Europe. There were "bubble" cars, micro cars, and Rootes responded with the development of the Imp and its derivatives.

Looking forward to the article.
Eric S.

CLEVITE

Postby CLEVITE » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:36 pm

Thanks for the history lesson. :D

Fred

65sunbeam
Chairman
Chairman
Membership Number: 257

Postby 65sunbeam » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:36 am

I bet that Nick K's Imp is the featured car-seeing how he is from Florida and all!
Looking forward to the article. Eric
"Life is too short to own just one Sunbeam!"
TE/AE #257

ImpBarn
Platinum
Platinum
Membership Number: 2897

Postby ImpBarn » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:32 pm

:oops: Oh yes, now I remember... I supplied some historical material to the author. Now I'm really excited.
Eric S.

Return to “Hillman”