TE/AE United 2010, Rockland, Maine

Information pertaining to the United 2010 event. If you weren't there to share the fun, make sure you don't miss the next one.
2Tigers+
Silver
Silver
Club Member of TEAE?: Yes
Membership Number: 252

TE/AE United 2010, Rockland, Maine

Postby 2Tigers+ » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:30 pm

TE/AE United 2010
Midcoast Maine
Rockport – Rockland – Owls Head
October 8 – 11, 2010

The United meeting of Tigers East/Alpines East be held in the midcoast region of Maine on Columbus Day weekend (Oct. 8 – 11) in 2010.

The events and other activities will be held at the Samoset Resort in Rockport, ME http://www.samosetresort.com/, at the Owls Head Transportation Museum in Owls Head, ME http://www.ohtm.org/ and in the surrounding area. OHTM will be holding their annual Foreign Auto Festival & Antique Aeroplane Show on Sunday, October 10, 2010. The museum is very interested in having TE/AE as the featured Club at the event. The Samoset is a four-star resort situated on the shore of Penobscot Bay and offers many amenities and activities for its guests. The Owls Head Transportation Museum houses a large collection of antique and classic cars and airplanes and has facilities to host many activities. OHTM and The Samoset are located about 15 minutes apart.

Activities:
Parts Room
Hospitality Suite
Registration
Dinner Cruise – from Rockland and/or Port Clyde
Lobster Bake
Road Rally/Tour of Local Area
Concours
Autocross
Museum Tour at OHTM
Tech Session(s)
Awards Banquet
TAC Inspection
Other activities TBD

Costs:
We have a commitment from the Samoset to offer rooms at the rate of $119 per night. This is quite reasonable, since the usual, in-season, rate is $259. This includes the use of all the facilities the Samoset offers.

We anticipate that the autocross will be held at OHTM in their parking lot.

We plan to offer a dinner cruise in the waters around Rockland Harbor, probably on Friday night and a lobster bake on Saturday, perhaps at the autocross location. These will be voluntary activities for which we have not gathered prices/costs.

Other Notes:
As noted above, OHTM will be holding their annual Foreign Car Show and Antique Airplane Exhibition on Sunday, October 10 at which TE/AE will be the featured club. The museum is interested in having our concours along with their show and will arrange space for the task.

Since OHTM will have their show on Sunday, it will necessitate TE/AE having the autocross on Saturday, on the paved area at OHTM adjacent to the museum. It will also be possible to have a Lobster Bake/Picnic at the same location, afterwards, for those interested in the real flavor of Maine. While the autocross is taking place, we propose to have a local tour/rallye to take in some of the sights of the area, such as the changing fall colors and the lighthouse at Marshall Point (http://www.marshallpoint.org/)

There are many interesting things to see and do in the area and we will endeavor to arrange visits to some points of interest such as the Farnsworth Art Museum http://www.farnsworthmuseum.org/ and the Maine Lighthouse Museum http://www.mainelighthousemuseum.com/ as well as other spots in and around Rockland in addition to the activities already mentioned.

Contact has been made with Roy Axe, former Director of Design for Rootes, to be our banquet speaker.

Mark1A
Platinum
Platinum
Membership Number: 931

Re: TE/AE United 2010, Rockland, Maine

Postby Mark1A » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:35 pm

Wow! That area is great. Can't wait - is it 2010 yet? :)
Mark
'66 Tiger Mk1a - since 1985 - T.A.C.# 0597
Wally Swift Trophy winner 2002, '05, '08

kerch
Silver
Silver
Membership Number: 0

Postby kerch » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:16 am

This is great information!
Please, when you post it, could you either drop me a note and tell me it's here, or use the contact form on the site .. or something.. so we can get this stuff added to the main site.
People besides forum users.. (general visitors) might be interested.
Could drum up some more members.. especially in the area of the event.

I'll pluck this info and add it there. But I don't check here very often.

Thanks
Kerch McConlogue
Webmaster
kerch@mapthefuture.com
Kerch McConlogue
Webmaster, TEAE
Harrisburg, PA
webmaster@teae.org

ImpBarn
Platinum
Platinum
Membership Number: 2897

Postby ImpBarn » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:33 pm

I've got the official flyers from Tod for United 2010 before they arrive in print.

(See attachments)

I can't wait to go to Maine this fall. It looks like the United team is planning a great time for us!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eric S.

65beam
Gold
Gold
Membership Number: 981

Postby 65beam » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:36 pm

we're trying to schedule time off for the united and we have a question . what day will the banquet be ????

2Tigers+
Silver
Silver

Postby 2Tigers+ » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:34 pm

As usual, Rootes United 2010 is a four day event in that we have reserved various amounts of rooms at the Samoset Resort from Thursday October 7 through Sunday October 10 with Thursday/Friday less than Saturday/Sunday. The Banquet is scheduled for Sunday night after the Concourse at Owls Head. The Autocross is Saturday at Owls Head, with Friday/Thursday open to a rally/tour/cruise/lobster bake/informal reception respectively. Numbers of reserved rooms vary according expected turnout with the bulk of the rooms for Saturday/Sunday. :D

65beam
Gold
Gold

Postby 65beam » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:39 pm

we reserved our room today. i was told that the hotel was booked solid except for the block of rooms for the club. i don't know how many rooms were blocked off, so i would reserve early. we also had to pay more for our room than what has been listed even though it is in our block of rooms since we will have our usual tag along 26 year old with us. we also were told that you have your choice of a room with a single queen or a double queen. how many rooms were blocked for the club?

mainetiger
Silver
Silver

Postby mainetiger » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:56 pm

Sorry about your reception at the Samoset. I will contact them and see if anything can be done. As far as rooms reserved, we have 25 for Thursday night, 50 for Friday and Saturday and 40 for Sunday night. Columbus Day weekend is a heavily visited time in Maine because it is just about the peak of fall color and many "leaf peepers" show up. We have scheduled a dinner cruise on Penobscot Bay on Friday, a Lobster Bake on Saturday and the Banquet on Sunday. The Autocross will run on Saturday and the Concours on Sunday. We realize this is different from some of the past Uniteds, but we needed to schedule our events to coincide with the activities at The Owls Head Museum. If anyone has questions or concerns, I can be contacted by email or phone and would appreciate your input.

Cheers,

Tod Brown
Chair, United XXIX
Warren, ME
207-832-9914
todbrown@roadrunner.com

65beam
Gold
Gold

Postby 65beam » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:09 pm

there is no problem. we usually try to book a larger room or suite so we were concerned when they told us the hotel was totally booked and there weren't any other type of rooms available in the hotel. since it's only february, i asked if there were still plenty of rooms available for our group and they were not able to or wouldn't tell me. it looks to be a great place !

mainetiger
Silver
Silver

Postby mainetiger » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:39 pm

I had a talk with our contact at The Samoset, Will Clayton, yesterday and he explained that it is the policy of the hotel to charge for extra people in a room. However, he said that they would not do that for our event and would make the change for the member who had already been charged. Please let me know if anyone has any further difficulties along this line. I did not get a definitive answer to whether they were completely booked (outside of our block of rooms) but Will told me it was entirely possible, even at this early date. Columbus Day is a big deal in Maine, if you have never experienced it, due to it being close to peak fall color which brings many visitors (often referred to as "leaf-peepers"). It was just that weekend over thirty years ago that my wife and I first came to Maine and I clearly remember having some difficulty finding a place to stay. Things have not changed much, apparently. The lesson, then, is to make your reservation early. If anyone has other questions or concerns, please contact me either by email at todbrown@roadrunner.com , at 207-832-9914 or through the Forum.

Hope to see you all here in October.

Tod

Duke
Silver
Silver
Club Member of TEAE?: No

Postby Duke » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:49 am

Hello,

I have reservations, made them months ago. When will registration be open? I am thinking that my friend and I will want to get a round of golf in. Will there be a special rate for a round to include golf clubs (no way will they fit in my Tiger)? I am driving from Fort Leavenworth, Kansas and can't wait to start the trip!
Duke
B382002037LRXFE

2Tigers+
Silver
Silver

Postby 2Tigers+ » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:44 pm

Duke,
Jan and I are doing the registration form and the tally. At this point we are waiting for the ice to thaw from our lakes in Maine, the ocean to top 50 degrees, the leaves and grass to turn green and ultimately the waterfront businesses to open their doors. Our target date is the end of April to get prices for the Lobster Bake and the Dinner Cruise so we will have only one registration form to tally numbers for these events, as well as an indicator of the Tee Shirt price. We have not addressed the golfers in the group, but we can contact the Samoset to see if there are any special rates which can be extended to our group. To encourage early registration, the Owls Head Museum has given us two free bi-plane rides for two people (that’s 4 people total) for a 20 minute flight along the coast of Maine and a fly over one of our events, weather permitting. Our cut- off date and the winning registration numbers have not yet been set , but rest assured, it will be way before the Columbus Day event.
Steve Towle

2Tigers+
Silver
Silver

Postby 2Tigers+ » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:57 am

Regarding room reservation at The Samoset Resort via telephone or email, make sure to say you are attending the TE/AE Rootes United event which is being held at their facilities. We have reserved a block of rooms starting Thursday Oct. 7 through Sunday Oct. 10. This is Columbus Day weekend which is during the height of “foliage season” for those who like “leaf peeping” in Northern New England. Reports have it the Resort is full except for our block of rooms, so if you plan on attending, want to be in the heart of the action, early reservations are encouraged. The Samoset has also extended the $119 rate before and after the event if any attendee would like to extend their stay for golfing, sightseeing, touring and exploring “Down East” coast of Maine or continuing further to the Canadian Maritime Provinces. Contact information can be found at www.Samosetresort.com or www.ohtm.org.

ImpBarn
Platinum
Platinum
Membership Number: 2897

Postby ImpBarn » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:28 am

We finally reserved our room. (We're even ahead of TT and Joanne this year.) Make sure you call and get ahead of the leaf peepers though!

Floors 1 thru 3 of the resort have been freshly renovated. Not that it bothers me greatly, because we're going to be out having so much fun, we will only return to the room to sleep!
Eric S.

2Tigers+
Silver
Silver

Postby 2Tigers+ » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:59 pm

That's great! I'm sure you and Valerie will not be disapointed with this event and the Mid-Coast Maine setting.
Steve

Return to “TE/AE United XXIX Information”