Guess I am the only one....

Post information regarding the modification of Alpines.
cdk84
Silver
Silver

Alpines, Alpines

Postby cdk84 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:25 pm

Hi Jim:

Nice challenge.
I own several Alpines, race one, am restoring one and also own a Tiger.

I don't feel the bias in this club as strongly as I once did.

And I don't feel it's important to belong to one 'camp' or the other (Alpine or Tiger), particularly on a trumped-up prestige basis. That kind of thinking is very 'old world,' not befitting this world, particularly in these times.
There are those who would challenge this statement, but if their basis is value, here's a conundrum: there are, due to normal attrition and Tiger scavenging, very possibly fewer Alpines than Tigers remaining. Why, then (if this were true) is the more rare car less valued in dollars? Will this trend reverse? [I doubt it but there might one day be an increase in Alpine dollar value, not relative to the Tiger, but based on the Alpine's merits alone, and upon its relative scarcity]

That said, it's relevant to mention that I've been to a couple of meets where the Alpines were very much in the minority. Whose responsibility is that? THE ALPINE OWNERS'.

Get 'em out and show 'em off.
That's my two bits.

Cheers,
David
Fin Fan

frank mooney
Silver
Silver

Postby frank mooney » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:11 pm

Modified is a word of art.I still have my Series 5 stock Alpine[purchased off the showroom floor in NYC in 1966;got a 5 year 50,000 mile Chrysler warranty;traded my 1960 Series 1] but the Series 5 now has a large racing number affixed on each door saying Long Island Road Ralley 1906...dont know what that means but got it at a later 2000 era ralley[2006?] and left this "modification" on the car.Also put magnetised flames on the hood/bonnet.The car did have an engine compartment fire years ago blistering the hood somewhat so this "modification"helps hide the damage and is some form of acknowledgement to the God of fire who spared the car. I also installed a Weber 32/36 carb and put the leaking Strombergs in a box...save everything.The Series 1 and 5 Alpines were/are nice driving cars. The Tiger II is more work and a different experience.Good luck with your modified Alpine. Frank Mooney

Jack Swift
Silver
Silver
Club Member of TEAE?: No

Postby Jack Swift » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:01 pm

If you want to see a modified Alpine just view the green 67 that I sold to Eric(65sunbeam) in SC a couple of years ago. My dad & I built it in 72 & I don't believe it was beaten many times thereafter. It was autoXed until he passed away several years ago. The engine was built by me for a 66 but it met with a tree 10 minutes after I started it. My father put the engine in the green 67 & the rest is history.Weber 40's, block decked 60 thousands, head milled 40, custom grind street cam from RC automotive, 422 gears,triple angle valve job & NUMEROUS suspension tweaks(double front sway bars cut front springs etc). Jack Swift

alpine_64
Gold
Gold
Club Member of TEAE?: Yes
Membership Number: 2910

Postby alpine_64 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:27 pm

Jack,

I have heard about the "ex-wally swift" AutooX alpine.. you got some pics or specs on the car.. everything i hear makes it out to be THE fast alpine.
Michael King
1963 Alpine SII
1965 Alpine SIVGT
1965 Tiger MKI
1966 Tiger MKIA

Jack Swift
Silver
Silver

Postby Jack Swift » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:34 pm

There should be numerous pix in the photo sections of the past Uniteds. You'll know the car its Dk green,w/rollbar,body on the ground, JAP mag wheels , no bumpers & an OLD man driving. Jack

Jim E
Silver
Silver

Postby Jim E » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:59 pm

I have seen the Wally Swift Alpine up close and it is a pretty cool number! The mulit shock rear end set up is something. I believe the engine is one of the factory replacement blocks if I recall correctly. Nice piece of Sunbeam history.
TE/AE #2484

SVRon
Silver
Silver
Membership Number: 0

Re:

Postby SVRon » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:38 pm

Paul A wrote:
Jim E wrote:Paul the Toyota transmission set up is just slick! I do not understand why it is not done more often here in the US.

Hi Jim: Yeah, I agree. The tranny is about bullet proof. It will handle way more horsepower than the Alpine engine will ever produce. The tranny is readily available at reasonable prices all over the US. Parts, if you ever need 'em, are also readily available. And, last but not least, the 5th gear overdrive eliminates the need for switches, wiring, solenoids and the like required by the very good Alpine overdirve unit.

time to go fishing - it's about 80 degrees today and the Alpine is going for a ride!

from sunny South Dakota,

Paul A

I've heard about using a Toyota 5spd tranny, but cannot find any post as to the: what, when, where, how. What are the details or where can I find the details.
Thanks
Ron

MikeH
Silver
Silver

Re: Guess I am the only one....

Postby MikeH » Thu May 21, 2009 9:41 am

Hey Jim,

I just signed up. 2.8 V6, T5 conversion in the works. But you know that.

MikeH

1 Mad John
Silver
Silver

Postby 1 Mad John » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:02 am

Hey ther're all Sunbeams aren't they.
Last edited by 1 Mad John on Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

1 Mad John
Silver
Silver

Postby 1 Mad John » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:05 am

I have 3 Alpines. I have a 62 series II parts car, along with a 63 Seriers II B title picked up at the factory in England, then after spending sometime over there they had it shipped to Jersey. I also have a 63 Series II that I have owned for 4 times the first being in 1972. It's been 2 years in the restoration with a complete frame strip down, new floor, all kinds of other new goodies. With what I have in and will till I'm done I easily could have bought a tigger, but..... The engine was bored out 30 over, changing to an alternating system, radiator recored, tiger dash and mags, redone Hardtop, wiring , exhaust, and more. It's just about ready to be repainted and then Sports Car Haven in Bloomsburg will be puting it back togeather. I may actually make it to a gathering or 2 this year. It does seem that more people wreck Tiggers than Alpines and they keep using up Alpine bodys to fix them, so sooner or later the Alpines will rise to the top because ther're won't be as many Alpines as Tiggers. Besides if I wanted a race car I'd but a 69 Road Runner. Just Kidding, couldn't afford 1. Oh and thanks to any and all that I may have bought parts from and still continue to. Mad John

ChuckIngram
Silver
Silver

Postby ChuckIngram » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:15 pm

Well it seems I can't leave well enough alone.In the process of changing over to 5 bolt wheels
New wheels are American racing Outlaw II .Just waiting to get my axles back.
Chuck Ingram
64 Lister clone
62 former V6 Alpine has now become 302 V8
Enjoy today as we don't know what tomorrow will bring

dodgealpine
Silver
Silver

Postby dodgealpine » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:24 pm

Well ,I thought I might as well add my bit to this post, I,m currently experimenting wilh different inlet manifolds & twin 40 carbs.http://dodgealpine.yolasite.com

Trying to catch the wind!

ImpBarn
Platinum
Platinum
Membership Number: 2897

Postby ImpBarn » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:23 pm

Very nicely done. I like your sensible mods for go faster and look better.
Eric S.

dodgealpine
Silver
Silver

Postby dodgealpine » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:01 pm

Update to website - H/top with high level brake lights + electric turbo mods + oil seal mod, check it out! http://dodgealpine.yolasite.com/
Trying to catch the wind!

Return to “Modified Alpine”