Flashing 3rd Brake Light Suitable for My Sunbeam Tiger

Post information regarding the modification of Tigers.
ramseyt
Silver
Silver
Club Member of TEAE?: Yes
Membership Number: 3095

Flashing 3rd Brake Light Suitable for My Sunbeam Tiger

Postby ramseyt » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:44 pm

I have been looking for an example of a 3rd brake light suitable for my Sunbeam Tiger. My wife and I have been in a serious rear end collision and know that we might be dead if we hadn’t had headrests. My Tiger does not have headrests and the 3rd brake light would be a step closer to preventing another rear end collision. Apparently not many 3rd brake lights have been installed on these cars because I was unable to find a photo of such. There are universal mount units available, but most are on a stem and probably fragile during the soft top manipulation. While observing other vehicles on the road, I found that almost all have the 3rd brake light inside the rear window or embedded in the shape of the trunk or hatch. I finally found that a Chevy Blazer has an externally mounted 3rd brake light! I Googled and found aftermarket 3rd brake lights available for this Blazer. FYI the same part number is listed to fit 95-04 Chevy Full-size Blazer /95-99 Tahoe /92-99 Suburban /92-99 GMC Yukon/ 02-05 Hummer H2 (4-door models Only). http://Www.xtralights.com offers it in red, smoke, or chrome for $72.95 + shipping. They are LED. I opted for the chrome, #11-CD00LEDG2AC, as it would be mounted between my trunk hinges. It mounts on a very slight radius with self adhesive tape and a sheet metal screw at each end. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the radius of the light, along the mounting surface, was immeasurably close to the same as my trunk surface! There are small locating tabs that fit in the OE installation, probably for assembly purposes. I broke those off because they don’t seem necessary and I didn’t want to cut those holes in my trunk. I also included a Blinking Smart Stop Delay Module that flashes this 3rd brake light when brakes are first applied. I purchased mine from http://www.kahtec.com . My #301-2003-11F only cost $24.95 + shipping and works great! I enclosed this module inside a small plastic “project box” from Radio Shack.
I hope you find this interesting. I'm very pleased with the added safety of letting the guy behind me know I'm slowing down. I have photos but could not figure out how to post them on the TE/AE forum. :roll: I had posted this same article is on the C.A.T. forum with photos. http://www.catmbr.org/VB_forum/showthread.php?t=1770
Last edited by ramseyt on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark1A
Platinum
Platinum
Membership Number: 931

Re: Flashing 3rd Brake Light Suitable for My Sunbeam Tiger

Postby Mark1A » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:26 pm

You could send it to the Rootes Review - with the photos - for publication. I don't think "everyone" looks at this forum.
Sounds like a nice set-up. Anything to help with safety is worth looking at...

Mark

ramseyt
Silver
Silver
Membership Number: 3095

Postby ramseyt » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:40 pm

Thanks for recommending it might be worthy of a publishing.

CLEVITE

Postby CLEVITE » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:53 am

It is worthy of including in the Rootes Review.

Send the article and some photos to me and I'll get it in the newsletter.

Fred Baum
Editor, the Rootes Review
whizzzbang13@aol.com

pdq67
Gold
Gold
Membership Number: 2782

Postby pdq67 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:24 pm

I took the belt and suspenders approach and added LED Tail/Brake lights plus a 3rd brake light in a rollbar
Bud Elliott
Jacksonville, FL
'67 MK1A B382001181

Mark1A
Platinum
Platinum
Membership Number: 931

Postby Mark1A » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:13 pm

I noted a couple of cars with a "3rd brakelight" at the United in TN... the Jeffers and maybe Logan Sr(?) among them.

Bud - how is the visibility of the one on the roll bar thru the rear window on the soft top?

pdq67
Gold
Gold
Membership Number: 2782

Postby pdq67 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:34 pm

Visibility was very good with both hard and soft tops.
Bud Elliott

Jacksonville, FL

'67 MK1A B382001181

Tom Jeffers
Silver
Silver
Membership Number: 1440

Postby Tom Jeffers » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:31 am

As Mark noted, I installed a third brake light on my Tiger. It was an inexpensive universal part probably made in China. It came with self adhesive tape and I installed it on the trunk lid between the hinges. The adhesive failed in the first week. So I went to an auto parts store and bought a roll of 3M brand adhesive tape, and installed the light again. 4000 miles this Summer and it is still holding.

mike
Silver
Silver
Membership Number: 962

Postby mike » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:35 pm

If you have a roll mar that is a great place to mount the 3rd brake light...I also use liscence plate surround brackets with 3rd brake light built into it

Return to “Modified Tiger”