LeMans Coupes

Discuss articles published in the best Rootes Review monthly newsletter.
(See a sample Newsletter.)
Mark1A
Platinum
Platinum
Club Member of TEAE?: Yes
Membership Number: 931

LeMans Coupes

Postby Mark1A » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:31 pm

Nice article in the December RR about the LeMans/Lister Tigers... I think it is great to read anything about these rare pieces of history. Thanks, Alex!

I had a question - wondering if anyone has the "absolute" answer?
I had talked to someone a number of years back at one of the Uniteds about the Lister Tigers. I thought that he had told me that the 3 cars were built starting with "Series 3" Alpines, as there had been no S4 Alpines [or Tigers] produced at that point in time. A quick pass thru the rootes1 webpage points to at least the "mule" being built out of an S3 Alpine?
Can anyone shed more light?
Thanks,
Mark

ImpBarn
Platinum
Platinum
Membership Number: 2897

Re: LeMans Coupes

Postby ImpBarn » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:16 pm

Agreed. A very informative and well written article. Many thanks to Alex.
Eric S.

mikephillips
Silver
Silver
Membership Number: 1412

Re: LeMans Coupes

Postby mikephillips » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:25 am

Series 3 tubs for all three is my understanding, along with some probably first pressing Tiger sheet metal. I looked at one of them a few years ago at a vintage event and have seen interior pictures, they do have Tiger transmission tunnels, not Lister made pieces. The one I looked over had a Tiger fender brace mount on the l/h side of the engine compartment when facing forward and a custom piece on the other side. Dash had the series 3 type bezels for the switches too. But the front marker lights were for the later IV, probably to identify visually to the Tiger rather than the earlier Alpines with round lamps. Book I have at home also lists series 3 upper a arms and the later lower ones, although I didn't crawl under the car I saw to verify this. So a real mixed bag of parts it would seem.

Return to “Rootes Review”