engine studs SV

Post any Tech Tips you may have or any service related questions.
SVRon
Silver
Silver
Club Member of TEAE?: No
Membership Number: 0

engine studs SV

Postby SVRon » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi Beamers, I'm doing an engine rebuild. I've bought the new short block, SS sells. In removing everything from my motor I've found that all the fasteners for exhaust/intake manifolds are all bolts. I know the horizontal cross fastener uses a bolt, but seems strange all of them are bolts, not studs. Also, all but 1 of the head studs came out because the nuts are frozen on the studs. I've never done a rebuild, like this, before. So, now the questions. Should the manifolds be held on w/bolts or can/should they be replaced w/studs (I've been told, by a real engine builder studs are better and when building a engine new is better than old)? Is there a source for new head studs (Rick @ SS says he doesn't have them)? Is there a source for new manifold bolts/studs? I've contacted ARP and they've indicated they might be able to put something together if I have stud specs. Anyone know specs? Thanks for reading.
Ron

65beam
Gold
Gold
Club Member of TEAE?: Yes
Membership Number: 981

Re: engine studs SV

Postby 65beam » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:33 am

Alpines had two head studs. These were on the left side of the engine and were on the front and rear. Everything else was bolts. Another thing you'll find is that the original studs for the manifolds were coarse thread on one end and fine thread on the other. Not easy to find so most ended up using bolts. You'll find many heads with heli coils for securing the manifolds. Think down the road and don't make this more difficult than it really is.

Jim Stone
Silver
Silver

Postby Jim Stone » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:25 am

Speedy Spares in the UK has stocked new bolts in the past. I don't know if they have studs, but it would be worth giving them a call.
Jim Stone
1966 SV, with 1789 Chevy rod engine
1965 SIV, a V6 conversion in the making
1963 S3, future TBD

65beam
Gold
Gold
Club Member of TEAE?: Yes
Membership Number: 981

Postby 65beam » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:52 am

I bought head bolts from Sunbeam Specialties a couple years ago when we built the engine for the Harrington. He may be out of them now but it's worth a call.

SVRon
Silver
Silver
Club Member of TEAE?: No
Membership Number: 0

Postby SVRon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:26 am

Thanks for the replies, guys. Seems like the consensus is to not worry about replacing bolts w/studs.

Return to “Tech Tips”